• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New shawl lapel
Otw

B6BB17AF-24A9-4A35-8BBE-44CC2B63D824.jpeg

EF7B386B-3490-406A-9E96-D67DFCD69C98.jpeg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^with a seam in the back? :)
Heh u remembered? Nah no seam. ‘No seam is the way it should be made’ - Chai tailor 2019

Satin lapels with grosgrain buttons (I dislike satin buttons) and a braid with dark navy dormeuil super Brio mohair

Last edited:

dan'l

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I wonder how your tailor will manage w/o the seam, since there seems to be less adjustment possibilities.

BlairW

Reaction score
Advice please:

Have an event next week - I have a blue velvet dinner jacket but I don't have tux trousers. Can I wear charcoal? So blue dinner jacket, white shirt, black bowtie and charcoal trousers??

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice please:

Have an event next week - I have a blue velvet dinner jacket but I don't have tux trousers. Can I wear charcoal? So blue dinner jacket, white shirt, black bowtie and charcoal trousers??

What's the event? Does the invitation specifically say Black Tie or Formal?
Personally, I think that black trousers would be better, but if it's not a brightly lit venue then you could probably get away with charcoal as long as they are very dark and don't have a noticeable pattern or texturing on them.

If it's not a strictly black tie / (semi) formal event, but rather a dress up social gathering where people are not expecting best-effort conformance to black tie standards, maybe no one will notice or care much?

Out of curiosity, what kind of shoes do you have? I find non-dress shoes to be a bit more noticeable than trousers.

BlairW

Reaction score
It's Black Tie optional and is a dealer awards night. I've got some plain black oxfords so figured thats pretty standard. Agree black trousers definitely better however I just don't have any..

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Black Tie optional and is a dealer awards night. I've got some plain black oxfords so figured thats pretty standard. Agree black trousers definitely better however I just don't have any..

If it's black tie optional and a crowd not accustomed to wearing traditional black tie, then I'd guess the charcoal trousers would be fine and you'd likely not have many people critiquing your outfit anyway. Have fun!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd personally avoid going "butchered black tie" and, if the event says optional, pick a conservative suit, white shirt and sober tie instead. My experience in the region (admittedly not NZ, but definitely across the Tasman Sea, and in ASEAN) is that those who "experimented" with black tie looked substantially worse than those who put on their best suit. Your suggestion - blue odd jacket and charcoal trousers - may even look more casual than a suit.

BlairW

Reaction score
Yes, you may well be right. I think I’m actually just looking for a reason to wear the jacket to be honest. Guess I should probably just buy some black trousers huh?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a navy/midnight suit with a midnight bow tie. No one is the wiser
Yes, you may well be right. I think I’m actually just looking for a reason to wear the jacket to be honest. Guess I should probably just buy some black trousers huh?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect black tie trousers are inexpensive and worth it although finding them quickly in NZ might be an issue. You need that stripe on the side to mark your fit as black tie, though. But it probably doesn't matter given how casual the entire region is. More for your own satisfaction... and given how neat your fits generally are here, am I incorrect in guessing you do care? :p

Don't forget a waist covering, easiest and cheapest to find a black cummerbund somewhere.

BlairW

Reaction score
I do care, and it’s kind of frustrating! Opportunities to attend a black tie (optional or not) event are few and far between and then when you do it properly you’re often overdressed in comparison.

Will end up wearing a boring old suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads