1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheFoo, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JJ Katz

JJ Katz Senior Member

Great DJ, EFV. If I may be permitted a criticism, I would say that the elegant effect of black tie is rather diminished if people start drinking straight outta bottles, etc. I would leave that for BBQs, etc.

2. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And I'd say it's the complete opposite. When you're comfy enough in your black tie to drink exactly how you feel like, you know it's not just a costume. After all, it was created to be the less formal evening wear.

3. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Oh, now I see where you're heading:
    upload_2019-2-4_9-29-45.png
    :p

More seriously, glad to see fuller cut trousers here as well. Thinking about it, there's a reason for the "skipped leg day" meme, the fashion for tight fits works well for the thin, but less well as soon as you start adding weight (whether lean or adipose). OTOH a fuller cut truly comes into its own on the strong and lean:
    upload_2019-2-4_9-32-48.png

I'll be following this with interest...

upload_2019-2-4_9-34-44.png

4. The Chai

The Chai Senior Member

What are everyone's thoughts on a midnight blue mohair self-faced shawl double breasted 4x1 jacket? Partly want a self faced because it I want to wear it with a midnight blue bow tie and its cheaper than getting m-blue facings. Will have stripe on trouser though.

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Hi All - great thread. Really good discussions above.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I didn't see it; if you were to purchase one black tux, would you opt for the peaked, arch, or shawl collar?

6. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Peak. Classic, formal enough for anything & can be dressed down a little with the right shirt and trimmings.

Then DB, and then — maybe — shawl if I had a tailor who could get the look right and I were needing a more relaxed DJ. One cool experiment would be shawl SB in black flannel, with black suede shoes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

7. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

I think you should get midnight blue facings. It'll look much better.

8. sftiger

sftiger Senior Member

Black, peak lapel, single breasted, medium- to wide-width lapels, unvented (or double vented if you prefer). Keep it simple and you'll look great.

9. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Got it. Thank you both!

10. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

A question for anyone who cares to answer, and not a specifically black tie question either;

I've been invited to an event, at which I'm up for an award and the dress code is cocktail. I understand what cocktail attire is (and a lot of the people there will not) but I have a blue velvet dinner jacket that I'm dying to wear. Thoughts on wearing this paired with black trousers and a black shirt without a tie? Potentially with top button done up?

I can do cocktail easily and to a good standard but really want to be a little different for this and keeping in mind there will be very few others adhering strictly to the dress code.

This is the jacket:
    c877.jpg

Thoughts on this?

11. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

Congratulations on your award. I like your idea for cocktail attire. Air ties are cool in certain artist circles, but unless the award ceremony is taking place in a gallery, I’d opt for a simple black bow tie.

12. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

@UrbanComposition cheers, that’s what I thought originally too but then I’m in black tie territory right? I didn’t want to overdo it but still want to be a level above the others. Any other suggestions?

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

There is “correct” black tie, yes, but you can have a little more fun with cocktail attire.
    C92CCEFC-F607-4446-88D1-49BDF38AAB54.jpeg

14. BlairW

BlairW Senior Member

15. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

But no black shirt, though.