1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think it is offensive, though it is really just a matter of theoretical principle since white-tie is pretty much anachronism outside the smallest handful of events. It would take a lot for me not to think white tie was out of place at a US wedding.
    Also, I think worrying too much about distinguishing the groom from the rest of the wedding party is a little silly. It is nice for him to be a marked man, but it is no big deal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

well, tradtionally, any event had a dress code which applied to all. That tradition is long gone. It's been common for decades at least to have (say) a wedding party in formal garb and everyone else in suits. That does not strike me as so bad.

But I also would not like varying degrees of formality within the wedding party.

1 person likes this.
  3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Personally I would agree with this, but I don't know how easy it would be to actually explain this to a bride-to-be. In addition, I think it would be particularly difficult if each groomsman is procuring his own tux. However, like I said, it would certainly be doable if they were given guidelines such as "tux must be single breasted" in which case the groom could go DB and be set apart in that way.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If he doesn't get to tell her and her attendants what to wear, I'm not sure why she gets to decide for him. It would be one thing if he didn't care, but he obviously does.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I don't think most women would notice single breasted vs. DB. My vote (and plan) is for the flower thing. White carnation for the groom (though even this might be hard to swing... "eww.. carnations are cheap"), appropriately colored flowers for the attendants. This should be easier to sell... "I'll wear a white flower to match you, and the others will wear flowers to match the bridesmaids." Women love to match things.

Or show her this photo of the Downton Abbey wedding... chicks dig that show.

[​IMG]

OH NOEZ WHICH ONEZ DUH GROOM???

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

7. TimelesStyle

Ansari, Greenfield and Cooper were the only acceptable ones, IMO.

8. TimelesStyle

If you're OK with having the pocket flaps removed and vents closed, then this one from PRL might work:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/..._men_cs1_formalwear&view=99&parentPage=family

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Cooper usually does quite well...but as the article stated, his tie was a bit on the small size in comparison to the scale of his lapels.

[​IMG]

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

True, but that is light years ahead of most of the other garbage.

11. TimelesStyle

While that is true, he gets bonus points for having an obviously self-tied bow; an anomaly at an awards show these days...

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Also very true.

13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Wedding:
    Personally I'd stay away from white tie at a wedding of your groomsman are in black tie. But it is your wedding, so knock yourself out.

Golden Globes:
    Better than most years, but still some abominations spewing forth.

Personal strangeness:
    I've been invited to a "creative white-tie event". Yes you read that right. Luckily they give some parameters:

"Men: We understand you probably don't own all the parts, but try your best to be accurate to white tie. Be creative with the accessories.. Best bet is to keep to black and white (off-white vests acceptable). Black tie and Regency tail coats will be acceptable in a pinch. Please no military uniforms. Keep steampunk items to a bare minimum."

I have a conflict that night otherwise I could report back.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  14. Master Squirrel

There were a lot of neck-tie wearers who stated they either didn't know how to tie a bow tie or gave up trying.

15. TimelesStyle

And there will be even more next year after the "best tie" award went to a long tie. Yuck!

16. TimelesStyle

That's strange, given that white tie, unlike black, is the one form of dress which really comes without any options (other than, I suppose, the shape of one's bow and whether the waistcoat uses studs or buttons).

I don't know that I'd necessarily call what they're describing "creative" white tie, as opposed to "do your best" white tie.

Assuming you'll see a lot of guys in tuxedos who have gone out and bought a white tie waistcoat and white bow (at least that's what I'd be doing if this was my only white tie invite ever).

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The only guy at the Golden Globes who got it perfect was Ansari. Every ody else had something wrong. Grrr. What is so difficult about getting this simple thing right!?!?

18. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Do they not have dates or personal assistants? Ricky at 346 can teach a lady how to tie a bow-tie on herself and her man in about 35 seconds.

19. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Someone whose sartorial knowledge ranges from Regency tailcoats to steampunk should know that there is no such thing as "creative white tie" beyond choice of footwear (and even there you'll get some arguments, though these I would consider pedantic and not reflective of modern reality).

Last year I attended a 100th Anniversary Titanic dinner and a respectable percentage of the gentlemen were in white tie; a few appeared to even be in garments gathered from their own closets rather than from the rental department at Men's Wearhouse.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. Master Squirrel

That was my impression too.