• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

HGriffin

Reaction score
I can tell you what I'd pay for it, but I'd have to know more about condition. How many times has it been worn? Any damage? How has it been stored and cared for? Have any alterations been made?

It's just under a year old so only worn a few times (kept it in a suit bag the entire time). No damage. No alterations have been made to the jacket but the trousers have been shortened.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First ball of the season, ready and raring.

This is a job for ole' faithful:

FullSizeRender (35).jpg

Switched pictures.

Last edited:

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a source of mid range RTW PL tuxedos? Looking for something in a more traditional, not ultra slim silhouette. Also I'm usually a 36S which makes it harder to find anything. Thanks all.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply? Is that below midrange? It's probably a bit slim, but, at the same time, RTW eveningwear is a tough find.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
I was very happy with my three-piece from Charles Tyrwhitt. I went with black but their midnight blue looks good too from what I’ve seen. I particularly dug the waistcoat.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply? Is that below midrange? It's probably a bit slim, but, at the same time, RTW eveningwear is a tough find.
I think you could make a reasonable case that SuSu is midrange. I've been impressed with what they offer for the price they charge.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you could make a reasonable case that SuSu is midrange. I've been impressed with what they offer for the price they charge.
Oh, to be clear, I agree fully. Mainly an inquiry for the OP to answer, as some might thumb their noses at SuSu.
They are not for me at all, but that is as much to do with fit issues as anything.

txm22

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear the forum's thoughts on wearing wholecuts with Black Tie. I have a few weddings coming up this year (including my own) and thought it might be nice to switch up the footwear. Thus, I am considering purchasing these (https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/col...-handgrade-wholecut-in-patina-50-gmto-deposit). Would these be acceptable to wear with an otherwise traditional black tie rig if spit polished? I'm not opposed to purchasing patent leather -- I like the Meermin offering -- but I figure I might be able to wear wholecuts outside of black tie as well.

Canadianguy

Reaction score

This is the brand that seems to come up for tuxes. However, the lazio fit (the only black PL currently offered) looks awfully slim, especially in the pants. And those pictures of the pleather lapels a few pages back don't do much to bolster my confidence.

I was very happy with my three-piece from Charles Tyrwhitt. I went with black but their midnight blue looks good too from what I’ve seen. I particularly dug the waistcoat.

Thanks this looks promising.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear the forum's thoughts on wearing wholecuts with Black Tie. I have a few weddings coming up this year (including my own) and thought it might be nice to switch up the footwear. Thus, I am considering purchasing these (https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/col...-handgrade-wholecut-in-patina-50-gmto-deposit). Would these be acceptable to wear with an otherwise traditional black tie rig if spit polished? I'm not opposed to purchasing patent leather -- I like the Meermin offering -- but I figure I might be able to wear wholecuts outside of black tie as well.
I wore patent for my wedding.

However, if you wear these, almost no one will notice or mind. go for it!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer wholecuts, and it isn't close. For one, I think they look better (subjective, to be sure), but they are also eminently more functional than patents, which have very specific utility.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to obtain patent leather oxfords, wholecuts will do. Black calf cap toes would also be fine, so long as they are well polished. Personally, I'm not a fan of Meermin but Brooks Brothers has very decent patent leather shoes available (that are made by Church's).

I prefer wholecuts, and it isn't close. For one, I think they look better (subjective, to be sure), but they are also eminently more functional than patents, which have very specific utility.
An entire black tie rig has a very specific utility, so why make an exception for shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads