The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

Flat black actually...I know the cellphone pictures aren't the best at bringing out the detail. I'd like to say that's my future pics will be better, but they won't, I also only use a cellphone.

2. Kuro Kujikiri

Kuro Kujikiri New Member

The promotion for the Iron Chef All Stars charity degustation dinner at the Sydney Opera House on the 2nd and 3rd August 2017 says "black-tie only" (...spot the black tie?...)

Iron Chef.jpg

3. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

The more correct phrasing of the black tie dress code is, "Black Tie or National Dress." The guy on the left is obviously from Labelkinglandia, so he's fine. I don't know about the other three.

4. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

Actually a very good question. Different types of bow ties make a big difference in the look. I studied on this quite a while when I started wearing them. I wear butterfly on the narrower side. I think that looks best on most people. I think the bigger they get the closer to clownish they look. It's not in your question but I think the narrow batwings only look good on Frank Sinatra.

5. brax

brax Senior member

No. It has the more common waistcoat configuration but if I could do it over again, I would definitely go with the U configuration.

6. Blake686

Blake686 Senior member

Thanks for your reply @Lensmaster, appreciate the insights. I am leaning toward the smaller end, I know it seems silly to think about when the different is a quarter inch, but I think it makes a difference. Thanks again!