• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^New here, much?
Over at Politico there's some photos of the White House state dinner last night. Interesting to me was how few peak lapels there were, although it looks like Joe did his part.

Secretary Hague was by far the best, followed closely by the British PM (with the sole shawl, from what I could see). Warren Buffett got the peaks right, but seems to have forgotten collar stays.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^New here, much?
Over at Politico there's some photos of the White House state dinner last night. Interesting to me was how few peak lapels there were, although it looks like Joe did his part.

The State dinner is no longer the white tie affair it used to be. So disappointing. :(

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but Michelle Obama might be the worst dressed First Lady ever.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to say it, but Michelle Obama might be the worst dressed First Lady ever.

Only problem I have is with the hairdo. While I'm guessing you meant US First Ladies, just look at her next to her British counterpart, who appears to have gone for the geisha look (in terms of her dress).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's better than all of the banners outside the LA philharmonic (or opera, can't remember): they have photos of their musical director in what would be a white tie getup, but with a black tie and waistcoat...

That would be a waiter where I come from.

recondite

Reaction score

Parterre

Reaction score
The State dinner is no longer the white tie affair it used to be. So disappointing.
frown.gif

Since Cameron is not the head of state, that was not a state dinner but merely an official one. Regardless, most state dinners are black-tie.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'd be surprised at how cheaply you can pick one up and how often you will actually wear it.

+1 Absolutely true. In fact, tuxedos are one of the few items of clothing I think you can reliably pick up on ebay. When someone says a tuxedo has been worn only once, it's probably true. There are a lot of DJs that someone bought for their wedding and never wore again.

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm sure.

The State dinner is no longer the white tie affair it used to be. So disappointing. :(

George Bush had one white tie dinner in eight years. I think Clinton had only one as well. I don't think it's what it used to be for quite a while now.

emc894

Reaction score
Just noticed this slightly unusual combination on Jean Dujardin's wiki page. looks like navy facings on a black jacket. It doesn't look bad, and in in the company of a weird hollywood black tie, could be a good option. Its not something I would wear though.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get back to black tie, is there a choice in detachable collared shirts available besides the BB shirt?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To get back to black tie, is there a choice in detachable collared shirts available besides the BB shirt?

Haven't really seen any, but perhaps some of the English shirt makers discussed here from time to time do one. However I'm curious: Why would you want/need one for black tie? White tie I understand, but for black tie it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads