• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I rarely wear any suit jackets unbuttoned, except when sitting, for this reason.
Interesting. So, you always keep the jacket for your three piece suits buttoned?

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm. No, I keep them unbuttoned some of the time, but usually buttoned when walking outdoors, perhaps primarily to keep out the cold, but also to prevent flapping. But I see your point. Well put.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ A really well-fit jacket shouldn't flap around like that.

While I'm sure it would be considered overkill, I suppose one could always take their coat and waist covering to a tailor and have buttons attached to the waist covering and loops sewn into the lining of the jacket so as to fasten the two together and keep the jacket in place. I tend to agree with you, though, that a jacket that flaps around when open will look equally poor when buttoned. Someone whose jacket is cut to accommodate a substantial gut may be the exception, in which case I'd suggest going double breasted.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hmm. No, I keep them unbuttoned some of the time, but usually buttoned when walking outdoors, perhaps primarily to keep out the cold, but also to prevent flapping. But I see your point. Well put.
:) Well, it's not really a right or wrong thing. There isn't a "rule" about it. FWIW, I almost always keep my SB jackets buttoned....except when there's a vest.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
too cute for me

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If there was a Bowring Arundel boot camp, I would enroll you.

ORLY?

Men's Wearhouse:

menswearhousenonspread.jpg

Some guy:

astairespread.jpg

jaya

Reaction score
I have noticed that many younger people (I am 42) have started dressing better and there interest have changed over the last few years. I belong to a fraternity that does wear black tie on a semi regular basis. I know of some that even wear white tie on a regular basis. I tend to wear a tuxcedo a few times a year just for that. There are opertunities out there for black tie. And I live in a small town that is only 6 square miles.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

:laugh:

Everyone: listen to Foo. Don't do it like the Mens Wearhouse photograph. Do, indeed, like Fred..

IMG_0117.JPG

...more point in the collar...not a spread...with the points meeting the lapels rather than dangling a la the MW guy.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

...more point in the collar...not a spread...with the points meeting the lapels rather than dangling a la the MW guy.

Dangling or not, the points add a degree of unnecessary visual complication when they reach below the bow tie. That's why Fred looks better in my picture than yours. The bow tie looks thoughtfully integrated, rather than pinned on top of the collar. I don't know where you found the rule that the collar points should show. This fella is equally baffled:

conneryspread.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dangling or not, the points add a degree of unnecessary visual complication when they reach below the bow tie. That's why Fred looks better in my picture than yours. The bow tie looks thoughtfully integrated, rather than pinned on top of the collar. I don't know where you found the rule that the collar points should show.

I made the mistake of not describing it well, and you have justly lambasted me.

I could try to describe it better, but you have done such a good job that my effort to be clearer would be of little consequence aside from noting that all of the collars that you have shown are semi-spread or point, as I suggested.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I made the mistake of not describing it well, and you have justly lambasted me.
I could try to describe it better, but you have done such a good job that my effort to be clearer would be of little consequence aside from noting that all of the collars that you have shown are semi-spread or point, as I suggested.

Hmm--what am I not understanding? I thought you were saying the collar points should show below the bow tie, at least a little bit. My position is that it looks better when they don't show. In that regard, the degree of collar spread is a factor, but not solely determinative. The size and shape of the bow tie and the fit of the jacket also make a difference. Ultimately, if it's done "right" in my book, the spread of the collar will actually be indiscernible, as the points will be hidden by the bow tie. It's just that it is typically necessary to use a more spread collar, as opposed to a more pointed collar, to achieve such a result. In the photos I posted of Astaire, Connery, and Cary Grant (below), I don't think one can tell how spread their collars are, precisely because the gentlemen went Foo over Vox.

carygrantspread.jpg

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like black studs. You can achieve virtually the same contrast with a dark gemstone, like a garnet. At night, no one will really detect anything more than a hint of color, and only if they are looking closely. Yet, you wind up with a slightly more eccentric, less uniform (but still uniform enough) uniform.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads