1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Well, really I need it for white tie, but ideally I'd like to use it for both which is the advantage of having a couple of collars.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

unless you go custom/bespoke, it's very hard to get a proper winged, detacheable collar shirt.

Brooks Brothers golden fleece makes one, but the fit is so blousy that it's practically useless.

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Yeah, that is why I am not just going with that. Has anyone bought one and had it cut down to a reasonable proportions by a tailor?

1 person likes this.
  4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

There's a maker of period costume that has a slim RTW formal tunic shirt...forget the name.

The much-maligned Fedora Lounge will have an answer, from their 1920s cosplay members.

Or you could PM Carl from CEGO to see if he would make a version for you with standard sizing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  5. adagio

adagio Senior member

I just discovered this today. http://www.bespokecollars.com/

It looks like it might be worth a try. He also does bespoke stiff collars. BTW the prices are in AUS$

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

DasRacist.

7. Parterre

Parterre Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rick Santorum, not content to alienate all thinking people, now moves to offend all who care about dressing well.

8. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Though based on where his eyes are, it looks like he's finally going to try and trade his dial-up for some DSL.

9. Spats

Spats Senior member

I'm outta water AND breadsticks and he's loading his masturbation-rolodex for an orgy of onanism. Sheesh, the help these days.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just an observation that seemed like it belonged here more than anywhere else...I went to see Luisa Miller at La Scala last night, which was lovely, but did not see anyone wearing black tie, orchestra included. I saw one guy wearing a tuxedo jacket and jeans, but that was as close as anyone came. I asked casually whether one might see some dinner jackets if it were a weekend performance, but was told no. Incidentally, despite the absence of semi-formal evening wear, most men were quite well dressed, including a much larger share of black shoes than I would have expected in Italy.

11. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

They only do for first nights nowadays: (A milanese high ranked politician) [​IMG]

And more pictures here: http://milano.corriere.it/gallery/m..._8309d630-20fa-11e1-80f3-2318928b83f9.shtml#1

12. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

In what way do you mean impractical? If price, I got my entire first outfit for black tie on Ebay for $80.00. You can get great pieces at wonderful prices if you look. If you mean lack of places to wear a tux, make a decision that you will wear it at least a couple times a year. An obvious choice is New Years Eve. Look for local events like an orchestra concert and wear it there. The first time I did it took some nerve but I got great reactions and now do it several times a year.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I think I will start wearing white tie fr dinner when I have guests over, you know, to see if anyone comments.

[​IMG]

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Does anyone here dress their young ones in black tie?
    [​IMG]

Yes or no?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  16. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It's probably much easier to find black tie events though if one is in a large metropolitan city, like London , New York or Washington DC.

I don't think there's much chance of me finding a black tie required function or event around here.

17. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

[crossposted from the Ask A Question thread]

With a midnight blue single breasted tuxedo with black grograin lapels, is the vest supposed to be midnight blue (made from the same material as the jacket) or black? And if black, what kind of fabric?

18. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vests for dinner suits can be same cloth, grosgrain/silk front, or a combination (grosgrain/satin only on the vest lapels). But in this case, midnight blue same cloth is the correct answer. Combined with your already black jacket lapels, a black vest would create too much contrast. If not in poor taste, it would certainly be very flashy, and you probably don't want that. After all, midnight blue should not look blue to anybody--the more black you add to your outfit, the more likely it will stand out as such.

Also, you can think of the black grosgrain of your lapels as incidental to compromise (it's hard to get matching midnight blue grosgrain). Why spread the 'error'?

Now, if you were doing a cummerbund, it would be a different story. You could do midnight blue grosgrain or satin to match your jacket color, or you could do black grosgrain to match your lapels (and ostensibly, your bow tie). You have expanded options because a cummerbund is more an accoutrement, while a vest is more an integral component of the dinner suit it's worn with.

20. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Notice how we gave the same answer, yet I am nonetheless more correct than you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012