• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

OTM

Reaction score
Dreamt of rocking a standard get-up but with a very light colored lilac shirt with covered buttons. Skip the pocket square altogether.

Even a faint paisley pattern to the shirt. I spend too much time on SF.

OTM

Reaction score
Haha! Good point :)

I guess my own standard advice applies: Get to 10 yearly black tie events, after that one can get adventurous in evening wear.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good advice. Of course, if you manage to get to 10 black tie events per year, one of them is going to probably be called something like "creative black tie," which may be a decent excuse to do something crazy.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'll be able to attend 10 black tie events in my life.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure I'll be able to attend 10 black tie events in my life.

"F-ck it. It's New Year's Eve. I'm wearing black tie." - Multiply by number of years you expect to live. Boom. I would have done this the last couple of years were I not attending a black tie charity party the day before New Year's Eve (didn't want to wear the dinner jacket two days in a row).

In all seriousness, I get that it can be tough to find black tie events. If you don't mind being in the well-dressed minority (depending on the event), you can probably start by looking at black tie optional events. I probably get to 5 or so events per year and that's in a major city with a decent charity circuit.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the type of event can dictate how straight you play it with your Black Tie rig. At an event for, say, the Council on Foreign Relations, you'd probably want to stick to the 'classic' look. But for an event at the Museum of Modern Art you might trot out the ruffles.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that the type of event can dictate how straight you play it with your Black Tie rig. At an event for, say, the Council on Foreign Relations, you'd probably want to stick to the 'classic' look. But for an event at the Museum of Modern Art you might trot out the ruffles.

Yes, if you'd prefer to be an exhibit, rather than a patron.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dreamt of rocking a standard get-up but with a very light colored lilac shirt with covered buttons. Skip the pocket square altogether.

Even a faint paisley pattern to the shirt. I spend too much time on SF.

I got a shirt made up with a pique bib but the sleeves and body were a white on white paisley that was covered up otherwise. I like it and wore it for my wedding.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you'd prefer to be an exhibit, rather than a patron.
A ruffled shirt wouldn't garner a single glance on the art circuit where the likes of Eva and Adele are fixtures.

Having attended myriad Black Tie events (over fifty in one year alone), spanning the spectrum of formality, I may have a different perspective than others here. I suppose if you attended just one or two events a year you might want everything to be 'correct.'

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a shirt made up with a pique bib but the sleeves and body were a white on white paisley that was covered up otherwise. I like it and wore it for my wedding.

I like that actually. To me that's the same as going with really loud/fun braces or jacket lining; you know it's there, you did it to make your garment "different" but outwardly it appears completely traditional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads