• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if for loafer we mean version of Albert slippers models rather then loosely similar type, then Albert slippers/shoes have been part of the black tie option for quite some time as I have seen examples by both Lobbs St James (vintage catalogues) and C&J. The round toe box, is pretty much a slightly elongated version of the classic Opera Pumps. the Ferragamo version is pretty much in line, but others version seems too fashion forward to be seen as classic good choices, however as Archibald said, within the vast majority of badly dressed people, few will take notice

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only ever wear loafers with black tie be they Albert type or other plain black dress loafer. I will not wear patent leather in any style of shoe.

Last edited:

jeffd

Reaction score
I've been looking at various brands of Alberts online and I have to say that they all look so similar as to have been made by the same company. Are there any real differences as to quality or style to justify going with a more expensive version, like C&J; or is it fine to go with something like Del Toro or at least a middle-of-the-road version like Brooks Brothers? Unfortunately I'm not in a position to see any in person.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are using the Albert predominantly with your DJ quality, meaning long term use, is not really a factor in fact there is an argument that a blake stitched shoe with a thin sole is more refined for evening wear. On the other hand Albert shoes do not have any adjustment so you need to try them on before buying them.

Persephone

Reaction score
I love this elegace

The mess jacket can be a very nice look, but it is best suited for a tall and slender physique. I am rather partial to the scarlett mess jackets worn by HM Armed Forces, in this case Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. The image illustrates my point quite nicely.
Ball11-Ix-Die_Offiziere_der_Royal_Scots_Dragoon_Guards_Fallingbostel_vor_EinstzAfghanistan.jpg

mikael3

Reaction score
As a rule, I don't like patent leather bluchers with a tuxedo, but EG's black patent Holborn has forced me to reconsider. Then again, their design is not a typical blucher. It reminds me of the monkstrap formal shoe in the often-copied, 1939 Esquire magazine image, which shows formal options for summer or tropical parties. I have to say, that EG blucher is just perfect for that type of party. Somehow, it captures that "slightly less formal" quality that I think is necessary in the summer, particularly in the American South.

Am I crazy to wear that shoe? Am I even crazier for trying to pull together a summer-formal kit?

Surely, EG of all places has a sense of what is appropriate for formal wear. Is anyone else wearing that shoe?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tuxedo is absolutely gorgeous.

The vest is incredible, and the lapels on the coat are unreal.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For still more evidence of how the entire concept of "Black Tie" has changed for the worse over the years for those in show business......

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for such a low-impact question, so I thought this thread would be the best fit.

I'm currently undecided between the cufflinks and studs sets pictured below for my wedding ensemble. In fact, I am more undecided between material choice (Onyx or MOP) and metal color (Silver or Gold plated).

Care to help me choose or at least tell me if they're some unknown-to-me rules that could lead my decision?

Gold plated with MOP:

Gold plated with Onyx:

Silver with Onyx:

Silver with MOP:

For the record, tuxedo will be black with wide peak lapels, and shirt will be light ivory instead of pure, crisp white (fiancee's demand, not my idea, unfortunately but hey, gotta please the lady!).

Thanks guys and all the best!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'd like to sell my never worn 40reg Isaia tux (28.5" inseam on 33" waist trouser), functional sleeve buttons on 25" sleeves and 43" chest. Tux has added nice detail of double vents, grosgrain peaked lapels, immaculate and classic.

Ordered a dark navy blue sartorio tux from Barneys this week
1f633.png
1f633.png
. Just like blues better on me, I guess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads