The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

State of black tie at a Lindy Hop New Year's Eve Party in Cincinnati, OH.

Dress code was "Dress to impress!" Counting me four guys wore black tie, many girls dressed in evening/cocktail dresses they could dance with, numerous other guys in suits, some with ties some without. One guy wore a very nicely tailored tuxedo with peak lapels but for some reason finished it with a yellow tie and black and white spectators. I chalk it up to the swing aesthetic.

Like one or two people wore jeans. Lindy hoppers are all over the place in terms of dress, but two of us had agreed ahead of time to wear black tie.

Amongst the black tie wearers- all notch lapels except mine and yellow bow tie guy, one guy wore a four in hand tie and others wore pre-tie bowties with the waiter-style high buttoning satin vest or cummerbund. No one including me wore patent leather of any sort, I wore some park avenues. Most were in whatever their dancing shoes were.

Pic attached- not very good quality, yeah yeah. Looks all right for being an hour or two into dancing, I reckon.

[​IMG]

2. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Well, maybe no patent; but Mrs.Trix and I were both there in our pumps, though hers were suede and mine were calf.

[​IMG]

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Are there any RTW options for a traditional-cut black vest other than BB?

4. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Ede.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

6. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

B.Nay still is still one of my favorite examples of black tie done right sans pumps

7. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

:fonz:

8. JonasAberg

JonasAberg Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a classic tuxedo of my own (I’m 32 btw), just because I think it’s extremely stylish and I wanted one. I wore it on New Year’s Eve when out to dinner, moving on to one of the better clubs in town. I was the only guy there wearing a dinner suit. Was I overdressed? You betcha! But I felt like a million bucks and man oh man did the ladies look.

The thing is, following the rules these days is actually breaking the rules. If you don’t wear a suit daily you could get by very well with a single black suit that you wear to formal events. Grab a white shirt and any tie and practically everyone would think you’re dressed to the nines. You don’t even necessarily have to wear a tie, any type of shoe that isn’t a running shoe goes (even running shoes are acceptable if you’re under 20 years old) and as long as your jeans are clean you can probably wear those too instead of the pants that actually go with the suit. THAT is the rule and personally, I don’t care for it that much.

I probably will only have a handful (if that) of events in my life that qualifies as “proper” black tie. However, as the new rule makes you look like a clueless slob I’ve decided to go against the grain and wear my dinner suit as often as I can, even if (and it does) mean that I’ll be the only person wearing one.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

PS
    I don’t really think the dinner suit would be such a hard sell to young people. It’s black and most young guys own black suits, bow ties (albeit pre-tied and very colorful) are becoming fairly popular around here and there is definitely a group of guys who is into “preppy” clothing that could very well move on to wearing tuxedos if it was marketed a bit more aggressively.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

What is wrong with patent lace ups for black tie? I thought that was right?

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

“Patent leather? Have you read an issue of GQ in the past three or four years?”

[​IMG]

11. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not a thing. Best with flat silk laces though. A pair is about $30 from Cleverley in London.

12. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

I love that clip. That is now my answer when people ask me why I'm wearing a tux, "It's after six." No other explanation needed.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

photos of said laces?

14. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

[​IMG]

15. E TF

E TF Senior member

Not black tie really, but I went to a festive drinks party between christmas and new year: a fairly casual affair but there was one old gent present (83 I think he said), in a velvet shawl-collared dinner/smoking jacket, grey chalk stripe flannels and old velvet slippers embroidered with his initials. He was the best dressed man there by a country mile but wore it like it was nothing, the most natural thing in the world. I look forward to being old and eccentric.