1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Butler

Butler Senior Member

Yes they can and are, POW has several tweed coats with them - Along the same line one can have Gauntlet cuffs made, if interested you can check my stuff out for those!
    :bigstar:

2. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior Member

Forgive my ignorance, what is the difference between turnback and gauntlet?

Turnback lies flat, and gauntlets flare out?

J

3. Butler

Butler Senior Member

A turnback, as the name indicates, the sleeve material is turned back on itself - a gauntlet is a decorative extra piece, of varying designs,sewn onto the sleeve! :bigstar:

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior Member

Ah, many thanks. Now to find a tailor who won't think I am insane.

J

5. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

Gents, are the trousers included with this white DJ appropriate as formalwear?

[​IMG]

The belt loops make me feel the answer is no, but those are easily removed. Could the trousers then be worn as part of a stroller?

My intuition tells me to avoid the ensemble altogether but I thought I'd check with the experts.

6. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior Member

I can't tell if the trousers are braided or not. I'd be leery about buying from anyone who accompanies that DJ with belted trousers and a neck tie--but the DJ looks nice. If the trousers are braided and the waistband is high enough to hide beneath your cummerbund, I don't see why it couldn't work.

Assuming this isn't your only tux, you could alway wear the DJ with your other trousers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

7. TheMangelo

8. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior Member

Not only are they not braided--they're pinstriped suit trousers. They will certainly not work.

9. TheMangelo

Pretty much what I thought.

Patterned trousers seem to be the norm with a stroller but these just don't look right to my eye. And I really don't know if it's worth the money for the jacket itself.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

A white dinner jacket really only works for black tie events during the summer (also make sure it is cream or some sort of off-white vs. true white which will look terrible) and should be worn with traditional tuxedo trousers. Strictly speaking, I believe they should also only be worn to outdoor events (you can probably get away with it on a cruise ship) and in more tropical climates. You are likely to be in a small minority wearing a white dinner jacket in the summer in any event.

11. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior Member

Am I correct in the assertion that burgundy bowtie and cummerbund is proper with a cream DJ?

J

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Distinguished Member

Would a gauntlet used to mimic a turnback be considered a bit gauche? The first time I watched Dr. No, I noticed, and loved, the detail on Connery's dinner jacket in the scene at the card table, where we first meet Bond. I wanted to have silk turnback cuffs, on my DJ, but I was a little concerned about there not being enough length in the sleeve (my tailor was only about 75% sure he could make it work), and the lining is viscose, and I didn't really want to feature a synthetic fabric on the turnback. I thought about adding material to get the look I wanted, but decided not to invest any money in something I wasn't really sure about. At the time, I figured it could always be added later, or done on another jacket in the future.

On the one hand, I figured it would be unnoticeable, unless someone was examining the lining of my jacket. On the other hand, I thought maybe this is just faking it, and a little offside.

13. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior Member

Gauche is my middle name.

J

14. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

As we are discussing white dinner jackets and posting older pictures of white dinner jackets, here are my parents (second and fifth from left) on a Caribbean cruise in 1960, when everyone owned both white and black dinner jackets and when ships still looked like ships rather than looking like one of Saddam Hussein's palaces......

[​IMG]

15. Nine Miler

Nine Miler Senior Member