The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Butler

Butler Senior member

Yes they can and are, POW has several tweed coats with them - Along the same line one can have Gauntlet cuffs made, if interested you can check my stuff out for those!
    :bigstar:

2. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Forgive my ignorance, what is the difference between turnback and gauntlet?

Turnback lies flat, and gauntlets flare out?

J

3. Butler

Butler Senior member

A turnback, as the name indicates, the sleeve material is turned back on itself - a gauntlet is a decorative extra piece, of varying designs,sewn onto the sleeve! :bigstar:

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ah, many thanks. Now to find a tailor who won't think I am insane.

J

5. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

Gents, are the trousers included with this white DJ appropriate as formalwear?

[​IMG]

The belt loops make me feel the answer is no, but those are easily removed. Could the trousers then be worn as part of a stroller?

My intuition tells me to avoid the ensemble altogether but I thought I'd check with the experts.

6. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I can't tell if the trousers are braided or not. I'd be leery about buying from anyone who accompanies that DJ with belted trousers and a neck tie--but the DJ looks nice. If the trousers are braided and the waistband is high enough to hide beneath your cummerbund, I don't see why it couldn't work.

Assuming this isn't your only tux, you could alway wear the DJ with your other trousers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

7. TheMangelo

8. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Not only are they not braided--they're pinstriped suit trousers. They will certainly not work.

9. TheMangelo

Pretty much what I thought.

Patterned trousers seem to be the norm with a stroller but these just don't look right to my eye. And I really don't know if it's worth the money for the jacket itself.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

A white dinner jacket really only works for black tie events during the summer (also make sure it is cream or some sort of off-white vs. true white which will look terrible) and should be worn with traditional tuxedo trousers. Strictly speaking, I believe they should also only be worn to outdoor events (you can probably get away with it on a cruise ship) and in more tropical climates. You are likely to be in a small minority wearing a white dinner jacket in the summer in any event.

11. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Am I correct in the assertion that burgundy bowtie and cummerbund is proper with a cream DJ?

J

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Would a gauntlet used to mimic a turnback be considered a bit gauche? The first time I watched Dr. No, I noticed, and loved, the detail on Connery's dinner jacket in the scene at the card table, where we first meet Bond. I wanted to have silk turnback cuffs, on my DJ, but I was a little concerned about there not being enough length in the sleeve (my tailor was only about 75% sure he could make it work), and the lining is viscose, and I didn't really want to feature a synthetic fabric on the turnback. I thought about adding material to get the look I wanted, but decided not to invest any money in something I wasn't really sure about. At the time, I figured it could always be added later, or done on another jacket in the future.

On the one hand, I figured it would be unnoticeable, unless someone was examining the lining of my jacket. On the other hand, I thought maybe this is just faking it, and a little offside.

13. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Gauche is my middle name.

J

14. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

As we are discussing white dinner jackets and posting older pictures of white dinner jackets, here are my parents (second and fifth from left) on a Caribbean cruise in 1960, when everyone owned both white and black dinner jackets and when ships still looked like ships rather than looking like one of Saddam Hussein's palaces......

[​IMG]

15. Nine Miler

Nine Miler Senior member