The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

You may be, and that is your prerogative. but many men get through life very nicely (and stylishly) not wearing black tie. I believe Manton himself alluded to the fact that he never wears black tie. I could be wrong or not be remembering the comment correctly. No hate.

2. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Well, that is good to know but since my game plan revolves around eBay and thrift purchases I shall have to pray for the luck blessings of the sartorial gods.

J

3. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

No worries, I know it is all a big goof. I consider it the same as owning golf clubs.

J

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

If they're of similar vintage, you should be ok. I got my morning waistcoat from mytuxed.co.uk - pretty good for the price. Also try savvyrow.co.uk ... thye have some but they always seem to be backless, and I hate backless.

5. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I don't own those either. Then again, I have to walk 10 blocks just to see grass. I probably have more reason to own black tie then I do golf clubs, but I am too pragmatic. Someone had started a "modern black tie" type thread here a few years back; velvet jackets, prince alberts, etc that I found interesting and is worth looking up.

6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Yea, I own a lot of that stuff too. Many times I wear it out on the town, or to a more trendy or relaxed party for new years or the like.

Some of it can do double or triple duty, but most of it can't.

J

7. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I wear a suit twice a year and BT 2-4 times. I don't see a natural correlation.

8. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Look around. My rig was about $1600 complete and is built around an Italian-made RLP tux and a MTO waistcoat from Jermyn street. I was on a budget but refused to cut corners. In the end, I was surprised by how well I did.

9. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

This happened to me a few years ago. Invitation said "Black Tie." Not "black tie optional." I went out and bought a new rig. Nothing fancy, but it was correct. Peak lapels, vintage stud set, etc. I could count on my hand the number of people wearing real bowties - and this was a HUGE wedding. The wedding party were wearing lounge suit-looking "tuxedos" with CLIP ON suspenders and straight black ties. They looked more like the blues brothers (whom I love, by the way, but they're not wearing black tie!) than a wedding party. You know, that kind of stuff is OK, but don't advertise an event as "black tie" if you don't mean it. I understand that not everyone understands - but this was the WEDDING PARTY.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Indeed. I got very lucky with my consignment finds. My dinner suit is a wool mohair blend, fully canvassed, made in Austria. Not sure of the vintage, but would guess 90's or 60's, if I had to, based on styling, and was $140. The waistcoat is vintage from the 30's; found it online, and paid $50, then another $35 in alterations. My shoes, shirt, and bow tie, are nothing special; just budget options, but decent quality ones, of good value. The whole thing, excluding hat, was under $400. The hat was a gift; was as much as half the rig, lol.

11. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue Senior member

Well said. There's a whole range of excellent options that lie between the two extremes. My tuxedo cost $800 and alterations were another $200 or so. And it looks as good today as when I bought it ten years ago.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

My point is that I don't mind being the most formally dressed person in the room on a daily basis, but even so there are few occasions where my wearing black tie would be within the acceptable spectrum. I take every marginal opportunity (including a Christmas party at a friend's home), and there just aren't many.

13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

You can't base your decision to buy a tux on the cost effectiveness of the purchasing vs rental comparison, and then use a 3000 dollar tux in the equation. That's just silly.

If you're rich, buy the tux and don't gripe about having to justify the cost. If you're not rich, get a tux that costs less than 500. :brick:

14. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

Fellas, how do you feel about a bottle-green dinner suit? That is, an is-that-black-or-do-my-eyes-deceive-me shade of green. The lapels (peak) would be black grosgrain.

15. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Velvet jacket, yes; dinner suit, no.

J