The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

I just use water and a cloth or paper towel, seems to work well enough with a little elbow grease.

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Which s more appropriate: Charcoal full length overcoat, or black car coat? Car coat is not particularly formal, even as car coats go, but has no epaulets or anything crazy.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

A charcoal overcoat is perfectly fine with black tie. I don't see any reason your coat would have to be black.

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Pictures should be out from The New York Botanical Garden's Winter Wonderland Ball last night.

Will be cool to see the current state of black tie, even though they will probably focus on the women-folk.

J

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

While on the subject of shoes, I recently got a pair of black patent leather Florsheim KIngstons, which were on sale at Amazon for $80.00 (the regular price is $130.00). I replaced the stock laces with a pair of black ribbons laces from Jason FitzPatrick's online Shoe Snob shop, which were GBP 5/-/- (non-EU price),

[​IMG]

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I like it.

7. Lensmaster

Lensmaster Well-Known Member

This argument is usually made by people who want to excuse not wearing waist coverings, or replacing bow ties with long ties, or wearing pastel colored tuxedos. I would argue that classic tuxedos have not "evolved" in one hundred years. Some things that prove their usefulness get added such as turndown collars and off white dinner jackets. A classic tuxedo today could be worn in the 1930's and fit in. That's why its formal, it's classic. Every element works well together. Both Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet could wear it and look equally classy. Black tie is about tradition and tradition is not a dirty word.

The Black Tie Guide is a great resource. That is why it is quoted frequently. The reason it was started is irrelevant to the fact that a lot of work was put into it. I would argue that the BTG is the single most complete resource on black tie. It has a detailed history of the subject. Peter doesn't claim there is one single configuration you must wear. The Guide points out all the variations on items and tells which ones will likely be looked on more favorably if you are going to an old money ball as opposed to the local country club. If there were no customs or accepted standards for black tie there would be no need for a guide. There is no guide for what I wear when I go to McDonalds to eat, but I will continue to refer to the BTG when it comes to dressing to the nines.

8. Midnight Blue

Midnight Blue Senior member

Thanks for your support Lensmaster. As you have correctly pointed out, I may have a bias for traditional styling but I would never claim that this is the only option. The choice of "Guide" for the site's title was a deliberate reflection of its intended role as an advisor, not a dictator. And the inclusion of a comprehensive section dedicated to Contemporary variations is an acknowledgement that the guidelines have been changing since the day the garment was invented. As I mention in that section's "Lessons from the Past" page, "Despite the grim track record of the past fifty years, history has also proven that not all change is bad. In fact, what we define as classic black tie today would never have come into existence if it were not for change." The important thing is that the change be viewed in the context of what has made black tie so successful for over a century. In that regard I agree with the OP: a blind obsession with what's "proper" is no more legitimate than a complete ignorance of its fundamental principles.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

[​IMG]

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

http://bfanyc.com/home/event/8046

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The current state seems to be notch lapel.

12. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I... I had a hard time looking at those photos. :(

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

would you like some photos of our fits to calm your nerves? Gentlemen! To the Tux Poles!

14. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I'll start with some of mine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I gave up and starting looking at the women. :satisfied: