1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The sport sedan choice- A4/3/C

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by akatsuki, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Give it up already. I went to cars.com and checked cars that are optioned and on the lots for sale. You can do the same for your area. Sorry, those cars will be sold for LESS than the price listed (60k). That is how it works.

See the recent Maserati thread for what you could have done with your 80K if you weren't set on the soccer mom aesthetic. Didn't shit on that one!

Only the troll wins, when you argue with a troll.

2. legit

legit Well-Known Member

My problem with the C class, is that I don't understand why it even has 4 doors. The back seat has about 1 inch of room in it.

3. Germanicus

Germanicus Senior member

My problem with the C class, is that I don't understand why it even has 4 doors. The back seat has about 1 inch of room in it.

In Germany most of them are driven by people who have to drive a lot and are given them by their companies. I'd bet that at least 75% of them like the A4 and the 3 series are driven by one single person.

4. sushi7474

sushi7474 Well-Known Member

Well, then you should take a look at real C-class - this "inch" is well visible:

[​IMG]

Any normally sized person (not HULK - XXL size) will fit nicely and there is enough room even on the backseat. I am 1,80m and wifey and kid travel on the backseat.
    If you do not own the car, then please check your post before sending such bull***it...

5. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

Is there no love for the Cadillac CTS in this class? I haven't driven one yet, but it seems like a decent competitor (certainly better than the C-class in my mind).

6. sushi7474

sushi7474 Well-Known Member

Is there no love for the Cadillac CTS in this class? I haven't driven one yet, but it seems like a decent competitor (certainly better than the C-class in my mind).

Isn't the CTS more in the size-range of the BMW 5/ E-class?

I like the Cadillac, although it sports slightly "vulgar" appearance (IMHO) as opposed to the 3 candidates originally considered...

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Is there no love for the Cadillac CTS in this class?
    If I were to get an American car, this would be it.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Isn't the CTS more in the size-range of the BMW 5/ E-class?

This is why it is out. Realistically even the 3-series/C-class is a bit longer than we'd like. If I could convince my wife, we would be buying an E30 and just dealing with repairs as they came, but she wants new. The 5-door 1-series hatch would be pretty much perfect (or the new Alfa Guiletta), if it was available in the US. The Mazdaspeed 3 would be good except she doesn't want to drive stick around SF. The Audi A3 is a bit unreliable and based on an older platform, the GTI is newer, but only available with a crap interior.

So we stepped up one class in size and are trying not to go much further (the G and CTS are definitely too big, and the styling of the CTS is far too masculine for my wife). At this point we just told our car broker to pull up prices on C-classes and 3-series cars and we will probably just hand them a list of what we want in a car and let the chips fall wherever.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Oh, and the other requirement for my wife is 4 doors. So that meant stretching (okay, breaking the budget) for an Evora is out.

10. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

The 5-door 1-series hatch would be pretty much perfect (or the new Alfa Guiletta), if it was available in the US.

I had no idea it wasn't...the 5 door was the only 1-series we had here at first. It is truly fugly, I can tell you, a new low in the Beemer hall of shame. I breathed a sigh of relief when the 2-door coupe came out; it actually has nice styling for a current BMW, slightly reminiscent of the old 1602 / 2002.

When you say GTI, I'm assuming you mean the VW Golf (there have been dozens of cars in Britain with a GTI suffix). I thought VWs in general were well regarded for the quality of their interiors?

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I thought VWs in general were well regarded for the quality of their interiors?

If you want black and crappy plastic-look aluminum, then try and buy a sport edition of any car. It is always the same thing.

The new low for BMW? This new FWD rebadged Mini they are contemplating. At least the one series is an attempt to get back to basics (even if it is a bit of a failure).

12. username79

username79 Senior member

This is why it is out. Realistically even the 3-series/C-class is a bit longer than we'd like. If I could convince my wife, we would be buying an E30 and just dealing with repairs as they came, but she wants new. The 5-door 1-series hatch would be pretty much perfect (or the new Alfa Guiletta), if it was available in the US. The Mazdaspeed 3 would be good except she doesn't want to drive stick around SF. The Audi A3 is a bit unreliable and based on an older platform, the GTI is newer, but only available with a crap interior.
    It absolutely blows my mind that if you'd prefer the E30 that you can stomach the ride of the C-class and would choose it over an E90. One is like the other and one is nothing like the other! Hence my comment about checking for your testicles.

13. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

wow lot of fanboys in this thread. I'm sure most haven't driven all three either. It's fun reading threads by people just repeating others' opinions or copying from a magazine. (By fun I mean annoying)

Get the C300. You're wife will love it. I would get it without 4matic as RWD is more fun and MB's ESP is more than sufficient for any snow you may get in the city.
    Mercedes has made a big improvement in engine and suspension with the W204s vs the older W203 c-class. MB is also platform and parts sharing now with the W204 and W212s as part of their cost reduction efforts.

If you want something for yourself as well, go for a C63. Huge improvements over the non amg version and the exhaust sounds great at wide open throttle. There is a big price difference though if cost is a concern.

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

wow lot of fanboys in this thread. I'm sure most haven't driven all three either. It's fun reading threads by people just repeating others' opinions or copying from a magazine. (By fun I mean annoying)

Get the C300. You're wife will love it. I would get it without 4matic as RWD is more fun and MB's ESP is more than sufficient for any snow you may get in the city.
    Mercedes has made a big improvement in engine and suspension with the W204s vs the older W203 c-class. MB is also platform and parts sharing now with the W204 and W212s as part of their cost reduction efforts.

If you want something for yourself as well, go for a C63. Huge improvements over the non amg version and the exhaust sounds great at wide open throttle. There is a big price difference though if cost is a concern.

I'd love to go C63, but it is a bit out of the price range and the mpg is crap since we are mostly getting the car for longer out-of-town trips. Actually we mostly want those seats which are amazing - so we might just order them and put them in.

15. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

I just read your post on the other forum of which I am also a member.
    You got some good responses over there. Are going to be getting a NEW car or are you going CPO?

Those seats won't be cheap to retrofit is why I ask. They won't come with the AMG appearance package either. You'd probably have to special order the car with the seats

16. cahlersmeyer

cahlersmeyer Senior member

The ultimate car ever built, IMO, was the E30 BMW - everything since then has been a disappointment.

could not agree more!

[​IMG]

17. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I just read your post on the other forum of which I am also a member.
    You got some good responses over there. Are going to be getting a NEW car or are you going CPO?

Those seats won't be cheap to retrofit is why I ask. They won't come with the AMG appearance package either. You'd probably have to special order the car with the seats

We are sort of prepared for the seats to be expensive. Still cheaper than a whole AMG package.

Between new and CPO, it really just depends on what pops up. At this point we have a car broker looking at 3s and Cs and whatever comes closest to what we want is probably the way we'll go.

18. ceaton

ceaton Senior member

British Columbia by day, Washington by mail.
    I really don't know what to advise between the BMW and and MB (the Audi is overpriced for what it is) but I just wanted to post to say how much I miss my old E30 and how much I hate the jackass who totaled it.