The sport sedan choice- A4/3/C

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by akatsuki, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

A couple of other contenders for you: Acura TL SH-AWD and VW CC VR6 4motion. I owned both A4 quattro and 3-series and would buy either again. The current A4 is a little larger than the 3-series. I think imageWIS was unhappy with his A4 because he had the FWD model . [​IMG] FWIW, Car and Driver did a comparison between A4/328i/TL?G37 not that long ago.

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Finished at looking at cars this past weekend. Probably going to go with the C class. The A4 is beautiful on the outside, feels like an IS on the inside, and just didn't do it for us. The 3 series is a close call, but the Merc just has it beat on manners on the road.

Thanks everyone... Pics will follow when we actually buy it.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Finished at looking at cars this past weekend. Probably going to go with the C class. The A4 is beautiful on the outside, feels like an IS on the inside, and just didn't do it for us. The 3 series is a close call, but the Merc just has it beat on manners on the road.

Thanks everyone... Pics will follow when we actually buy it.

Good choice, IMO. Look forward to the pics and a post-purchase review.

4. username79

username79 Senior member

I had the C300 in SF for several weeks. I hated every second of it. Piss poor car compared to the 3 or the 4. If you choose a C300 over a 3 series you should check to make sure your testicles were not removed in your sleep.

Nice looks but terrible to drive. Vague steering. Unnecessary harsh ride (even a Camry is more sporty so why does the Merc jar you over bumps?). Complete lack of sporting ability. Languid handling. Excessive body roll. Acceleration of a minivan. Completely muffled engine noise. Thirsty.

The 2010 Altima I got from Hertz back on the East Coast was a better automobile in every way besides fit and finish and looks. But since it's your wife's runabout and those are probably the most important criteria, perhaps you will be happy despite the fact that the Audi blows the doors off the Merc in terms of style.

In summary, I think you chose by far the worst car. I fail to see how anyone can justify the expense of the Merc considering how bland of a car it is to drive. If you drove, for example, a 2010 Camry 2.5 SE back to back with the Merc the Camry would emerge as the more exciting and involving car. With all of the major features of the Mercedes, good looks, both do 0-60 in the 7s range, more comfortable ride than the Merc with better steering feel, and much better fuel economy. At about half the cost..

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

7. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Had a lot of seat time in the C300 and it's a POS. The 3-series is just THAT much better.

8. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

If you do any sporty driving at all, you'll wish you've gone with the 3 series......

All though it might ride rougher then the MB, due to having a sportier shock setup.

9. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

I think the BMW looks better, and drives better..... But its up to what you like for style, and how it drives. Good luck... MB C300 2009 HD video review
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. BMW 3 series 2009 Review:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

10. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Don't forget that Lexus now comes with a 'fiery death' option.

11. s.car

s.car Member

Why the 328xi specifically? Is it the awd that's so attractive? Is the E60 5 series too big? If you want something sporty..you'll be disappointed with a 328xi, imho. [​IMG]

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Why the 328xi specifically?

Is it the awd that's so attractive?

Is the E60 5 series too big? If you want something sporty..you'll be disappointed with a 328xi, imho. [​IMG]

5 series is way too big. I have zero interest in a car that size.

Basically the Merc is winning because it is on the luxury side of the sport spectrum without being too floaty like the IS or just unresponsive and disconnected like the G. The ride in the 3 is a bit harsh, the steering is definitely better, and the exterior styling is meh.

AWD is mostly because we want to go up to Tahoe in the winter and we desperately want to leave San Francisco, so we might end up back in New England...

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

5 series is way too big. I have zero interest in a car that size.

Basically the Merc is winning because it is on the luxury side of the sport spectrum without being too floaty like the IS or just unresponsive and disconnected like the G. The ride in the 3 is a bit harsh, the steering is definitely better, and the exterior styling is meh.

AWD is mostly because we want to go up to Tahoe in the winter and we desperately want to leave San Francisco, so we might end up back in New England...

Please don't let the Bimmer fanboys here dissuade you. YOU took the test drive and YOU know what car you liked best.

14. username79

username79 Senior member

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member