1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The sport coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AvariceBespoke, Dec 29, 2008.

1. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Not all of us can model [​IMG]

I believe it is quite commensurate with your girth.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Have you thought about shoes to go with that jacket? [​IMG]

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

The current of some of the posters is to compare modern to street wear and traditional to custom made or tailored clothing. I think if one imagines what a well dressed man would wear today it would help understand the concept of modern or contemporary rather than applying incongruous demographics; there were plenty of men wearing lousy clothes back in the day.

4. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member

I just got this Isaia sport coat.

[​IMG]

I think the fabric, color, and pattern give the coat a "metropolitan" style. The fabric is flannel, which keeps it looking less country, like tweed, but still has some textural interest, which I think is important in a sport coat. It has a hint of cashmere and feels very soft and light, unlike some of my heavier tweeds. Plain worsted wool can look a little boring, and I think the flannel is a nice change from tweed and cashmere, my two choices for fall/winter sport coats.

The color is lighter than navy and has a subtle windowpane. Blue, as opposed to an earth tone, feels a little more appropriate in the city, while the lighter blue color and the pattern of the coat prevent the coat from just looking like a standard blazer. The windowpane is present to make the coat a little more interesting, but is not too loud.

Finally, the coat is cut well. Side vents, decent suppression, soft shoulders, and, just for you, there is actually some roping in the shoulders that doesn't really come across in the picture I've shown.

i bought an isaia sport coat today and i loved it.. 700 on sale at barneys down from 2600

5. PolePosition

PolePosition Senior member

I'm wanting to buy a sport coat to wear with khaki/stone chinos and also with jeans. Is tan or brown the best color that will match those pants? Also what kind of materials and patterns should I be looking for. I don't quite get the "tweed is country and not city" that seems to be talked about earlier in the thread. Is tweed not acceptable? To me they look nice. My favorite so far is tweed herringbone but I'm open to suggestions.

6. TheWorldsFinest

TheWorldsFinest Senior member Affiliate Vendor