• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The speedy, unfair but never vicious, Bowties-in-WAYWRN review thread

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm blaspheming the deity, but the photo below aptly illustrates the dangers of the too widely tied bow. He almost gets away with though:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Dear Holy Jeebus, my eyes! Let me fix that slightly...

- B

I am unable to comment on that photograph above, but I will comment on the one below...

- B

laugh.gif

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I hear the footsteps of the SF Knot Police coming by to demand that bows be tied in a reef knot lest they become undone in the breeze? No?

- B

I just had to resort to the shoelace around the thigh method to see if it is possible to tie a bow tie in a granny knot. It is. I always automatically loop the rear blade over the front blade from the top to make the center loop of the bow, and I don't think I've ever seen it done any other way. That produces a reef knot and a horizontal bow. But, if the rear blade is looped over the front blade from the bottom, the resulting knot is a granny, and the bow spins immediately to the vertical. Can't wait to wear one this way even if it does come untied easily.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll play:

Bowed1.jpg

Bowed2.jpg

Sonny58

Reaction score
That's pretty good. The quantity of visible hanky could have been averaged between those two breast (no
foo.gif
) pockets...don't you agree?

Try this, though: the next time you tie a stiff repp batwing, grab it in one hand and crumple it into a ball. Let it spring back the way it wants to and resist the powerful urge to straighten for the rest of the day.

Trust me.

- B

Originally Posted by NOBD
popstrik.jpg

Next time he says "Trust me" don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads