• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Southern Trad Thread's Guide to Dressing in the Heat

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket leans closer to the darker pic. We took pics at end of house where late afternoon sun was pouring in and I think it was a bit uneven through the blinds. Shirt is a light blue and white plaid.

I wanted a more formal sport coat for work but in a summer fabric. Have several more casual I’ll try to wear next week for this summer fit thread. :-D

Oh damn, I didn’t even see that the first time I zoomed in!

As was the case with my novel of a post a couple days ago- several mojitos in, so that’s what I’m blaming it on lol

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a new jacket in the mail today, it’s the same as the red cotton Bill’s Khakis jacket I already owned:
1C8683A7-5AC2-445E-9254-4607C20404C9.jpeg

I’m posting this primarily to highlight the construction details that make this so ideal for summer. No lining, and though the chest is two layers, the cotton makes it very lightweight and flexible:
0AAF8F2B-023D-4B5D-B621-16C6D08AB3F7.jpeg

Also, fit pic from last summer of the red one:
654E0544-4606-46B3-8FFD-1C686F9BFE56.jpeg

Though I normally wear a 38R, the 40R is a spot-on fit for me with these. My only quibble is the darts, but that’s a very minor issue for me. BK nailed the rest of the details- 3/2, triple patch, sack cut, hook vent, unstructured, unlined, and even has working cuffs.

I’ll wear the blue one for Mother’s Day (probably with stone chinos and a pink or pink/white stripe ocbd), so I’ll post a photo then

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a new jacket in the mail today, it’s the same as the red cotton Bill’s Khakis jacket I already owned:
View attachment 972853

I’m posting this primarily to highlight the construction details that make this so ideal for summer. No lining, and though the chest is two layers, the cotton makes it very lightweight and flexible:
View attachment 972854

Also, fit pic from last summer of the red one:
View attachment 972855

Though I normally wear a 38R, the 40R is a spot-on fit for me with these. My only quibble is the darts, but that’s a very minor issue for me. BK nailed the rest of the details- 3/2, triple patch, sack cut, hook vent, unstructured, unlined, and even has working cuffs.

I’ll wear the blue one for Mother’s Day (probably with stone chinos and a pink or pink/white stripe ocbd), so I’ll post a photo then
Nice jacket and fit. I only have one cotton suit and haven’t taken it for a test ride yet.

Different topic but am seriously curious about LuxeSwap’s Ring Jacket drop tomorrow. Not Southern Trad but Trad-fusion by way of Japan.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ring Jacket? Likely not much but I was on The Armoury’s page a moment ago and it was on my mind...

Next up is a 100% linen Isaia summer cream with brown houndstooth sport coat. Need to figure out a good day to wear it next week. Featherweight light blue linen for tomorrow’s niece school pageant attend-or-else family event. ;)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's counter-intuitive, but I always opt for lightweight wool socks in the summer. They are a little warmer, but they wick the sweat away from your feet and in that sense are ultimately more comfortable. They also don't smell. As a very sweaty dude, I always opt for the undershirt.

Absolutely. I don't even find them to be warmer at all, and the properties of a good, thin wool are amazing for wicking away moisture and keeping you cool and dry. That's also why I absolutely swear by ultra-thin, merino wool, v-neck t-shirts from Icebreaker under my shirts. Merino wool for the win. :nodding:

And Im sure its forbidden on styleforum but some days you just gotta loosen the tie and roll up your sleeves

I forego ties in warm weather unless it's a wedding or such. For me, the main reason to wear a tie is to close the collar of a shirt to the end of retaining body heat. Seems completely counter-productive to me to do that in the heat of summer. Light cotton or linen sport coats with lighter, thinner trousers for work days.
brown-blazer-light-blue-long-sleeve-shirt-white-dress-pants-large-17920.jpg

For casual wear, light, thin khaki trousers or shorts combined with either navy polo shirt or white linen shirt, finished with non-gym sneakers.
navy-polo-tan-shorts-white-plimsolls-original-25844.jpg

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the first Southern Arizona Styleforum Meetup at the Skeptical Chymist, an Irish pub in the Sonora Village section of Scottsdale AZ.

P1110677.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Them trousers! I'd ask where you got them but I'm sure they are either long since out of production or made by a company that no longer exists.

Thank you.

They are Polo Ralph Lauren from his side adjusters and belt loops (something for almost everyone) era.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Extra Added attraction in this picture, a little bit of the Orvis green seersucker bedspread. (I think this is the right thread for pictures of seersucker bedspreads.)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9CD980B4-545D-4721-8D6D-53B1FEF2A195.jpeg 28CB9A16-7376-4DDF-9140-8466DC5F28FD.jpeg

92 out so have deployed more linen. Linen/Silk blend and lighter than some of my shirts. Featherweight and Unstructured shoulders. Works great on horribly hot days.

Gosport

Reaction score
I'm really surprised there isn't more love for Madras on this thread other than a passing mention by @orange fury and what looks like some Madras trousers and a jacket worn by @Roycru. I live in SE VA and in my experience nothing feels better on a hot and humid day than Madras shirt. The air just seems to flow right through the weave. It's a more casual look for sure, but there are dressier options ie trousers and sport coats. And I know Madras has a loud GTH rep, but a non-patchwork, more dulled/muted pattern can be quite versatile.

As an aside - I'm a relatively long time lurker but trying to start posting a little here and there, I've learned a ton from SF and though I don't think I have much value to add, if everyone just lurked there would be no forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics