• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sound of King Tut's Burial Trumpets

emptym

Reaction score
Neat. Thanks. The tune was like a Copeland riff. But I'm guessing the player chose it. I wonder what the ancient Egyptians might have played.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
What a great clip, thanks for sharing!

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Neat. Thanks. The tune was like a Copeland riff. But I'm guessing the player chose it. I wonder what the ancient Egyptians might have played.
From what he played, the silver trumpet sounds like it's only capable of producing three notes-- a base tone, a fifth and an octave (although the intonation on the octave can be hit-or-miss.) That's basically what trumpet fanfares consist of to this day. So by the time of the radio broadcast 17 years later, only a few of the archaeologists who first discovered King Tut's tomb had survived?
crazy.gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
So by the time of the radio broadcast 17 years later, only a few of the archaeologists who first discovered King Tut's tomb had survived?
crazy.gif

It's as if there was some kind of curse... I'm ambivalent as to the actual sounding of the trumpets - a tube of silver 3000 years old isn't going to make a different sound from an exact copy of the same material made today. Also, one of the originals was damaged in the handling during the preparation for the blowing. There is of course something very emotionally appealing about hearing a sound from the actual instrument that may have been heard by the pharoh himself (though I suspect everything would have been made new especially for the burial).

Navi

Reaction score
Fuckin cool. Thanks for the post! It just blows my mind just how ******* ancient the relics we have found over time are. The very same trumpet has been played by someone who died 3 thousand years ago. Also, anyone else getting a sort of old Bond movies-soundtrack vibe out of this? I'm not sure why, that or Indiana jones.
laugh.gif

pgd3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
I'm ambivalent as to the actual sounding of the trumpets - a tube of silver 3000 years old isn't going to make a different sound from an exact copy of the same material made today. Also, one of the originals was damaged in the handling during the preparation for the blowing..

I would argue that today, making a reproduction "exact copy" including materials might not really be possible.

I would imagine the exact alloying, and working of the ancient instruments would not be able to be exactly replicated.

Sort of a Roman concrete type scenario.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intonation is a bit
crazy.gif
Expecially the silver one. Not saying it's bad, just exotic.

austerlitz

Reaction score
maybe there is written Egyptian music we are yet to discover.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Intonation is a bit
crazy.gif
Expecially the silver one. Not saying it's bad, just exotic.

The instrument's intonation or the trumpeter's? For some reason, the octave note sometimes sounds like a weird detuned leading tone, but I'm assuming they're fingered as the same note.

Originally Posted by austerlitz
maybe there is written Egyptian music we are yet to discover.

Doubtful. We haven't even found any written Ancient Greek music. Guido Monaco (ca. 1000 AD) made the best kind of discovery-- the kind that seems completely obvious in retrospect.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
The instrument's intonation or the trumpeter's? For some reason, the octave note sometimes sounds like a weird detuned leading tone, but I'm assuming they're fingered as the same note.

I guess I was assuming that there were no valves, so it would be the trumpeter's intonation inasmuch as the instrument must have been difficult to control. It does sound like "Ti."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads