The Solid Navy Dress Tie: Classic Elegance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I have an almost-satiny navy tie (RLPL from many years ago) that seems much less shiny when paired with an actual suit. I wear it with an Oxxford navy blue pinstripe suit and a white shirt, but it can look almost too austere in that context.

I also have a navy/royal (mid-range of colors) heavy twill tie - it was called 'Ottoman Twill', I think. It is great, and the fabric creates a lot of surface interest.

Finally, I have a solid navy Drake's tie which is fairly matte, and very flexible.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I concur. My favorite combos are:

solid navy tie, medium gray suit, blue shirt
    solid green tie, midnight suit, white shirt
    brown shoes, of course

As everyone here knows, the right fit and fabrics
    can make these possibly boring combos outright dashing.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I would agree. A couple weeks back, I put on a solid navy satin tie by Emporio Armani, which I hadn't worn in over two years. Maybe it was because I hadn't worn the tie in so long, but pairing it with my white Robert Talbott cutaway herringbone shirt, I found the look to be quite sharp and anything but insipid.

4. Stuttjukken

Stuttjukken Well-Known Member

I have a navy solid tie, and I like to wear it to my navy suit. I like the classic and serious style.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Sorry, guys. Voice of dissent.

Only thing I'd wear a solid navy tie with is a white collared AK or TA pretty punchy stripe or tattersall.

Life's too short to dress that soberly.

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Are there guidelines for wearing navy suit/navy tie together?

Different shades? Textures?

7. Soph

Soph Senior member

---- I would say some different surface patterns to break it up. I also like a Navy based classical striped tie for some serious, down to it business.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

9. Ali Kebab

Ali Kebab Member

My post might be slightly off topic but I happen to like the combination of white shirt and solid pink tie with a Navy blue suit.

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

Three of my faves are the black, navy and burgundy grenadine ties. I also have a few wool solids as well.

11. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have often wondered the same thing. Can one wear a solid navy tie and a solid navy suit if the tie is one shade removed from the color of the suit? Is this akin to wearing the matching tie and pocket square?

For what it is worth, today I am wearing a navy plaid suit, a purple gingham check shirt, and a solid twill navy tie. The suit is a touch darker than the tie, but because of the differing texture and surface interest, I think I am OK.

Bic

12. Soph

Soph Senior member

I have often wondered the same thing. Can one wear a solid navy tie and a solid navy suit if the tie is one shade removed from the color of the suit? Is this akin to wearing the matching tie and pocket square?

For what it is worth, today I am wearing a navy plaid suit, a purple gingham check shirt, and a solid twill navy tie. The suit is a touch darker than the tie, but because of the differing texture and surface interest, I think I am OK.

Bic

[​IMG]
    Navy Suit and a Navy tie.

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think it's best if the tie varies noticeably in either hue or lightness and/or has a sheen or texture that distinguishes it from the fabric of the suit. The navy tie I mentioned earlier in this thread is a bit more purple than my navy suit, and also has a great sheen to it.

14. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

[​IMG]
    Navy Suit and a Navy tie.

Thanks for the picture, Soph. I wonder if that is a look that seems better on the screen than it is in real life. Most of us would not wear the trousers from one solid navy suit with the jacket from another solid navy suit. I think the same reasoning applies to navy neckties that are close in color to a navy suit.

When I wear a navy suit, I almost always choose a solid grey or maroon tie before I chose a navy one. When I wear the navy tie and suit, I almost always go with a loud patterned shirt.

Bic

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

I think it's best if the tie varies noticeably in either hue or lightness and/or has a sheen or texture that distinguishes it from the fabric of the suit. The navy tie I mentioned earlier in this thread is a bit more purple than my navy suit, and also has a great sheen to it.

I agree. If I were going to wear a navy tie with a navy suit, I would make sure the tie *did not* match the suit. I'd want it to be a different shade of navy and probably also have some textural interest. I also think there are many better choices of tie color than navy to wear with a navy suit. Just my opinion.