1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Solid Navy Dress Tie: Classic Elegance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

I am finding the sloid navy dress, simple, old school, yet a tie perfect to assemble with grey and navy suits. I used to be more into the flair with shirts/ties, but it is amazing how this understated look gets compliments for its sharpness.

Anyone else concur? Your thoughts?

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I am finding the sloid navy dress, simple, old school, yet a tie perfect to assemble with grey and navy suits. I used to be more into the flair with shirts/ties, but it is amazing how this understated look gets compliments for its sharpness.

Anyone else concur? Your thoughts?

I would add solid dark green to that list too as it works brilliantly with navy and grey.

3. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior Member

I agree. I have several solid navy ties.

4. joseanes

joseanes Senior Member

When I have to wear a suit, ussually it is not to impress. Just to look serious.
    I use a solid burgundy or a solid navy tie with my navy suit a good percentage of the times I wear a suit.

5. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

When I have to wear a suit, ussually it is not to impress. Just to look serious.
    I use a solid burgundy or a solid navy tie with my navy suit a good percentage of the times I wear a suit.

----

Yes, I've found burgundy really brings out a grey and charcoal suit. I've been using a cashmere/silk tie by Borrelli that just is superb with grey/charcoal flannel.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

The great thing about a solid navy tie is the freedom it grants you to wear more colorful and more daring shirts.

And when worn with a plain white shirt, the overall effect is very striking - evtremely professional and dignified.

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

The best ones have some surface interest. Grenadine, for instance. But that's sort of common. Flusser has a solid navy tie with a sort of geometric/basket weave that I want very much, but he is asking a freakin' fortune for it.

8. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior Member

I prefer them without much "surface interest".

9. trogdor

trogdor Senior Member

I'd go for the navy pin-dot over a plain navy.

Works with everything.

10. DandySF

DandySF Senior Member

Anderson Cooper's wardrobe provides a good example of the austere beauty of mono-chromatic ties. He wears a number of solid ties in varying shades of either blue or red. His example has opened my eyes to this sophisticated and restrained look.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

My go-to tie when I am in a hurry or just want to look proper without looking too flashy (wore it to a wedding yesterday) is a Bally purplish navy solid tie with a great sheen and a wide spaced rep pinstripe of the same color. It looks great with everything.

12. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Some of my favourite and definitely most used ties are heavy twill solids - purple, forest green, and navy work especially well with my clothes.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have at least five solid navy ties. They are my favorties. After the solids, I tend towards navy with stripes or neats. After that I go to browns.

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

Matt, do you tend to go for different shades or weaves?

I have at least five solid navy ties. They are my favorties. After the solids, I tend towards navy with stripes or neats. After that I go to browns.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Matt, do you tend to go for different shades or weaves?

I have a grenadine, a square end knit, a cashmere, a silk and a twill. They are all slightly different shades, but I prefer a true navy when possible. I wear the plain silk much less frequently than the others as it is a little too shiny for me.