• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The solid gray suit

bookish

Reaction score
OK. There are about a gazillion posts here advising the purchase of a solid gray suit, and I know I need one or two. But where do people here recommend obtaining said suit, when it's hard to find at the usual discount sources?

Ideally, I'm looking for something relatively slim and waist-surpressed, though businesslike, with higher armholes. Budget: as low as practical for quality, but potentially a grand if it's worth it, I only get the one, and I talk myself into it.

I've already spend hours and hours over the past few months looking at STP, eBay, eHaberdasher, and so on, and am getting worn out, especially since I need a particular fit (the rare 38R, plus a smaller waist and long inseam).

I live in Madison, Wis., and the local, in-person suit buying options are Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A Banks. The malls have awful stuff - black and gray blazers with Lone Star metal buttons at Sears (as suit separates), various schlock elsewhere. That's it. Downtown Chicago is 3-4 hours each way, depending on traffic, plus cost of gas and parking.

So, what would you do? Buy a cheap suit locally and figure that nobody else tries very hard here, either? Drive to Chicago and look for bargains? Order a suit at retail from somewhere online? Order Asian MTM?

Thanks.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have access to many sources of discounted high quality full canvas suits

Thanks to that I have a wide pallette in my wardrobe... I am a 38R

No solid charcoal or solid dark gray.

Sadly, this is the most difficult item to find discounted in our size

pfr0g

Reaction score
There was a fantastic Borrelli Solid Grey suit at a discount store around me for about 400. I think it was a 38R. Only problem was it had working buttons on the sleeves. I will take some measurements if they work for you I can pick it up and sell it to you through PayPal. It was absolutely stunning and it very well could have been sold, this was a few weeks ago. I will check anyone because I would love for someone to enjoy a great suit at such a steep discount. It was a modern 3 button cut with a nice 3-2 laple roll and had flat front pants.

Edit:

I had taken some pics because I wanted to see if anyone wanted it here but got really busy and forgot about it:

[/URL]

[URL='http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img053na7.jpg'][img][/URL]

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow-- that is a good lookin suit! i hope the borrelli matches your measurements.

tba

Reaction score
Finding a solid gray or navy 38R at discount is hard. They are just too popular. What about a Canali from BlueFly? Can always be returned if it doesn't work out. http://tinyurl.com/2noayc

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
wow-- that is a good lookin suit! i hope the borrelli matches your measurements.

It sure was. The fabric was absolutely fantastic. I kind of feel bad now because my intension was to get it and offer it to someone on the forums. However it has been a few weeks since I could get back to the store. I hope it's still there.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hunting for the same (though not in the same size). I have not seen anything on eBay, STP or elsewhere that meets my specs. I continue to search. I have wondered to myself if the dearth of options is because they are so popular or no so popular, but I consider my suit wardrobe incomplete without one.

I suggest that you do nothing rash and wait for your suit to come along.

bookish

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The Canalis on BlueFly look tempting; I think I overlooked them because I was looking only at 2-button suits. Maybe that's picky, but for $1,000 I feel kind of picky. I'll keep checking STP every so often.

I suppose there is an alternative to the options I listed off at the beginning of the first post: get bigger. If I could work my way up to a 40 or 42, it seems more options would open up. I've been meaning to work out more, anyway.
lol8[1].gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookish
Drive to Chicago and look for bargains?
You really should have made the trek for the post Christmas sales. Still, there's Filene's, Nordstrom Rack and Morris&Son. Call them to see what they have in your size.

muelleran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I have access to many sources of discounted high quality full canvas suits

Hey Lakewolf,

can you give some details?

markr

Reaction score
Hey Bookish. I would schedule an appointment with Chan during their next US tour. My first suit with them was a solid grey (I recently got a solid navy from them as well). It'll cost you a grand (or more), but it's worth it, in my opinion, to get exactly what you want (not to mention great quality and great fit). I've spent years searching eBay and STP without finding a good deal on a solid grey or navy suit with the features I was looking for (I'm a 38R as well). As much as I enjoy the looking, I have to figure that my time's worth something.

Carey

Reaction score
Look at Nordstrom Rack. I bought a Samulsohn solid chacoal gray suit two years ago in June at a fine men's store when I was on a business trip in Richmond, VA. I paid $625 for this $900.00 retail suit, during the shop's summer sale.

You should try Roger Stevens Menswear, 428 E. Wisconsin Ave, in Milwaukee, before heading to Chicago.

Lastly, fully canvassed is the only way to go. If you can't find on sale, you could get a MTM Samuelsohn for around a grand. Their Austin model has a high armhole, and a suppressed waist. You can choose working button holes on the sleeves, and side vents, too. Stay in the "A" or "B" range to make this garment fit the upper end of your budget.

singlechange

Reaction score
Today at Filene's Basement in Washington, D.C. I saw a gray Oxfford suit in Manhattan II model in size 38 regular for $999.00 plus with the 20% discount in effect during presale should be a good deal for someone who likes that style. I believe the material was cashmere as well so a good buy in my opinion. There was also a beautiful Borrelli light gray with thin pinstripes in Super 150 wool also in size 38 regular about a week ago.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1000 is not a good deal to me... I am talking around $300-$400 per suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads