• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The soft retail market and other possible indicators of an economic bubble, particularly in tech

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would agree. There's 0 reason for me to visit any big box retailer, except some of the furniture stores and Costco (if you consider those big box). UA making big moves outside of just Stephen Curry too in other sports.

You can't even use Best Buy as a source to try out tv's before buying for cheaper online anymore. They are notorious for cranking up certain settings to make the tv's they are trying to push stand out and catch consumer's eyes. Usually brightness and contrast.

deepitm

Reaction score
A bit off topic in this thread, but UA stock is pretty iffy. Tough to value. It is priced like it has tons of growth in it. That may be true. That may not be true. Just do some serious homework on it before you buy it. Personally I would steer clear of it.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visa and MO have been a gold mine for me.

They are at their highest numbers. I would wait to buy but those two are solid. Dividend wise as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic in this thread, but UA stock is pretty iffy. Tough to value. It is priced like it has tons of growth in it. That may be true. That may not be true. Just do some serious homework on it before you buy it. Personally I would steer clear of it.
It has tons of growth in it - I think that the real question is not in domestic growth, but whether it has the potential to become a global name like Nike. Nike is solid - it has international growth opportunities and international name recognition, even accounting for a global economic slowdown, but the stock just seems too high to buy right now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Altria, stock ticker is MO
That's what I thought. But... Philip Morris? Sounds like a ticking time bomb of a company. I mean, may as well invest in Draft Kings if you had wanted to ride the white knuckle roller coaster.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoking is steadily falling out of favor, but very gradually. And it's not like it's going to disappear overnight. Plus the big tobacco companies are pretty much going to have a stranglehold on the vaping industry if the FDA's draconian deeming regulations go into effect unaltered.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Falling out of favor?

I used to travel a lot for work, EVERYONE smokes, hence my investment in Altria.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait so you made an investment based on anecdotal observation? OK. The percent of adults in the USA that smoke dropped from 20.9% in 2005 to 16.8% in 2014. And as far as I can tell (though I may be wrong), Altria only owns PMUSA so international markets (where smoking habits are different) are irrelevant.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of retailers are dropping Visa due to high fees. The most visible is probably Walmart Canada.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A lot of retailers are dropping Visa due to high fees. The most visible is probably Walmart Canada.

Good luck with that, considering how many people use VISA check cards. Even if they just single out the credit cards, that's s lot of irritated customers to deal with. Not defending VISA and the fees. Just don't see how the retailers in mass can drop them at this this point.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads