The Smokers Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by metkirk, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

No prizes for guessing my brand of cigarettes. Runners-up: Rothmans B&H Marlboro regular Camel Craven A Local brands: Blue Master, Teddy: [​IMG] [​IMG] I used to seek out the most arcane labels I could find, but the trouble is that the odder brands may have been warming the shelves for years, and would too often taste horribly. The fridge works well as a make-shift humidor (for cigarettes, mind you) if the cellophane wrapping is still in place. Otherwise, it will dry out the tobacco even faster, it seems. I once got a huge humidor from my (now) ex, filled with cigars with personalised bands. Not bad quality, I think they were Honduran. After all those was consumed, I really went a bit off cigars.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I rarely smoke, other than the occasional cigar (Romeo y Julieta Coronas or Petit Coronas). However, whenever I visit the USA I always smoke unflitered Camels -- something about your country brings out my self-destructive side ... [​IMG]

3. torotoro

torotoro Well-Known Member

Export A Lights (Gold) from Canada. They are stronger than most US cigarettes. Don't even try the mediums or regulars. I have to stay away from them for health reasons and now try to stick to cigars once a day.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'm smoking a Rocky Patel Sun Grown right now. It's pretty nice. I'm a big fan of his stuff but this is the first Sun Grown I've smoked.

5. Pim

Pim Active Member

I'm going to NY again in 2 weeks, last time I just brought one carton for 2 weeks wich was not enough but I didn't know what the max amount of cigs is that is legal to bring with you(200/400/600?).. Does anyone here know that? I mean $7 a pack... common' at the airport they are 3 [​IMG]

6. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Appropriately, that's also a '50s Dunhill Sylph lighter in the silver tray.

And a spy photo camera. You are well equipped smoker, I see. [​IMG]

I have exactly the same exp. with cigs. I was always able to quit them on the spot.
    After moving to the most smokers unfriendly country I had to quit them all togeather. Although occasionally I smoke a good Cuban or Nicaraguan cigar.

When I smoked cigs my favorites were in order:
    Rothmans (British only)
    Partagas
    Camel (no-filter)
    Lucky-Stirke
    Kent

My fav. pack of cigs by design was "Astor".

7. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

I really enjoy the Carlos Torano cigars, particularly the 1916 Cameroons. Preferably in the torpedo, but the robusto is good too.

Also enjoy Arturo Fuente, The Don Carlos and Hemingway lines are pretty good. In the past I have enjoyed their Opus X, but have not had one lately.

I've liked the CAO Italia and Brazilia too.. it's been awhile since I've smoked cigars regularly so I'm having a hard time remembering my favorites. I mostly just do it on special occasions, last time it was a Padron Anniversario.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And a spy photo camera. You are well equipped smoker, I see. [​IMG]

I have exactly the same exp. with cigs. I was always able to quit them on the spot.
    After moving to the most smokers unfriendly country I had to quit them all togeather. Although occasionally I smoke a good Cuban or Nicaraguan cigar.

When I smoked cigs my favorites were in order:
    Rothmans (British only)
    Partagas
    Camel (no-filter)
    Lucky-Stirke
    Kent

My fav. pack of cigs by design was "Astor".

Yes, a mid '50s Minox camera.

I have a fantastic ashtray as well--heavy Belgian cut crystal in a hexagon shape, from the '50s.

9. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

now this is an odd reason to quit smoking but i quit smoking because i couldn't figure out how to hold a cigarette properly or it didn't look good on me. i first tried a cig at 8 yrs old but never really smoked til age 14. i thought it was cool back then and that is my only motivation to smoke as i don't think i'm addicted to nicotine at all. i think it is still cool now but only for women. weird theory i know. i guess i associate it more for women because many women don't really drink but smoke like a chimney. a cigar though is a different story.

10. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

I have my weekly cigar fix to meet (Right now working with La Gloria Cubana Rubusto and Montecristo Buena Fortuna petite corona), but I'm out of dark rum right now. Might have to make a stop on the way home.

Jsoftz, if you like Camaroon, try the Camacho SLR. Fine, fine cigar.

11. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Yes, a mid '50s Minox camera.

I have a fantastic ashtray as well--heavy Belgian cut crystal in a hexagon shape, from the '50s.

I remember my family had a lot of those heavy crystal ashtrays sitting around the living room despite the fact that no one smoked in my family. I guess in 50-60s those ashtrays were analogous to a gift of a fruit-cake.

12. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

This is a timely thread.

I wanted to head down to John B. Hayes today but traffic was so bad downtown that I just got a burger and came home. I was going for a Punch Rothschild (great, cheap cigar) and a pack of American Spirits.

And yes, I realize American Spirits aren't good for me. It's amazing how often I get this: "You know, just because they're all-natural doesn't mean they're good, right?"

I just love the smell and taste. And I have a fetish similar to your's, Lucky Strike, in that I try a lot of odd stuff.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I am a big supporter of all forms of smoked tobacco.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I remember my family had a lot of those heavy crystal ashtrays sitting around the living room despite the fact that no one smoked in my family. I guess in 50-60s those ashtrays were analogous to a gift of a fruit-cake.

Yes, I have noticed ashtrays and table lighters were common features in people's homes. I believe it had to do with the fashion at the time that guests often smoked, especially at cocktail parties which was another feature that seemed especially recurrent during the '50s and '60s.

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Hurray for Gauloises (blondes, the blue pack). Only buy some occasionnally now.

When I was going to Berkeley, all the pretentious cafe-dwellers who had a Cliff's Notes understanding of Heidegger and Nietzsche used to smoke Gauloises so that they could pretend they were French. I never really gave them a fair shot, because the people I knew who smoked them were so annoying. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh man.... [​IMG] My issue with Seven Stars, though, is that they smoke too quickly. I remember that used to annoy me terribly when I was still smoking cigarettes--you'd hold the cigarette for a second to take a sip of coffee or something, bring it back up to your mouth, and a quarter of the cigarette is ash.