1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The smell good thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, May 28, 2010.

1. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Senior member

anyone had any experience with CB I Hate Perfume? looks very interesting (perhaps kind of rediculous), but im curious about how spot on the scents are and if they are practical. smelling like black tea sounds rad but maybe i should just have some sort of tea rubdown in the morning instead of getting a spray

2. jet

jet Senior member

I've been using le labo for 3 years now, one of my favorites.

You ordered a cologne without sampling it?

and lol @ all the creed talk

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

Yes. They (he, actually) is all about evoking memories. The stuff is very interesting but not terribly wearable. Some are worth trying - Mr Hulot's Holiday is a good one, the moment you smell it you're transported back to vacations on the east coast - it smells frighteningly like a blustery day along the Atlantic. Russian Caravan Tea is identical to sweetened lemon Nestea powdered Iced Tea mix.

Aventus is nice if you get a good batch. The batch # is essential in determining if your bottle is a good or bad one. Read this http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/42777/scent-fragrance-of-the-day-thread/8730#post_4721127

I like it and have gotten compliments on it. It's a weird scent that hides from you although everyone else can smell it on you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've sampled this a few times and currently have a 30ml decant on the way (check Rambo's scent split thread) - it's basically a not overly sweet pineapple (sort of woody) plus some ashy combo... sounds strange but it's actually quite nice.

An interesting point on this one, even if you think it just smells 'meh', just my opinion, but I have strong reason to believe there are some very powerful aromachemicals at work in this one and it was also heavily influenced by test groups, because from what I've heard it gets serious compliments/attention IRL.

*Do note that there are major batch variations, so see the Scent of the Day thread for a link to the Basenotes thread that lists which batch has more/less of certain notes.

I've sampled many of their line, plus visited the store in NYC. My sense is they make some decent scents but the whole 'mixing it fresh' is a useless gimick and also many of them are overpriced for waht they are. Based on general popular opinion, the line's standouts seems to be Rose 31. The Santal has good reviews, and on a personal note I liked the labdanum and neroli, but for many like say bergamot, it's just overpriced for such a simple frag.

I've only tested this one once but found it barely lasted and wasn't particularly interesting to smell. There was that one 'metalic' ('gunpowder') note, but otherwise I found it mostly a skin scent. So IMO Creed does bright fresh frags best.

their new Oud is quite promising!

i've tried a few of his creations... they're quite different from what people traditionally think of as 'cologne'. rather it's more like a smell of a place or a moment. he builds the scents based on memories or experiences. I think that his style pushes the artistic bounds of fragrance, but in reality I have trouble actually wearing most of the scents. they're worth smelling from an artistic perspective, and if you're someone who hates citrus/floral/wood cologne smells, then maybe you'll love his ones.
    I only have one - Burning Leaves - which nails the concept, but there are many other more wearable fireplace like frags out there.

*note that his 'carrier' isn't alcohol, it's water. so they feel a little weird going on (like a spray of water that gets absorbed into the skin and leaves a bit of a sticky patch)

Also, Christopher the man is quite a character... flip through this amazing BBC documentary (link below) and you'll find interviews with him along with him showing how he makes a bespoke fragrance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCX827 (click "all videos" since the series "The Suit" is on autoload)
    here's the link to the episode with him -

BTW, for those who find this all a little overwhelming, sample sample sample... check out sites like luckyscent, theperfumedcourt, etc. buy from reputable e-tailers like fragrancenet or scentedmonkey, etc and get the same stuff for 30-50% less than retail. Ebay's usually safe but if you're not sure than just avoid it.

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Creed Aventus might not be overly "complex" or "deep" or whatever the hell people write in reviews but I picked up some from a split and I like it and it gets compliments. Good enough for me.

6. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Been meaning to try this one. it's not to Feminine is it?

7. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Which one? Went to Joan's for lunch on Sat and stoped by the Le Labo store, was 2 seconds away from getting a parking ticket so I just picked up yet anoeehr Santal candle. Which cologne/fragrances of theirs do you use?

8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

not at all. it's fig like the entire plant, where you can smell leaves, branches (if that makes sense) and a little earth along with the fruit. not too fruity to come off as absurdly feminine. I love the scent, one of my favorites. I like the Diptyque candles a lot as well, and figuier is similar to philosykos if you've smelled it. Essence of John Galliano is by far my favorite candle of theirs (I feel like a no homo is necessary here). I'm very close to out of the room spray and candle of JG, need to restock.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

Rose 31 is really good. Not much actual rose in it. This is their best seller for men.

Santal 33 is worth trying

Patchouli 24 is good if you like smokey scents

10. jet

jet Senior member

Rose 31 was my go to from 08 up until about 6 months ago on the weekends. I don't like how they printed my name on the bottle and "compounded it" in front of me thought that was a bunch of bullshit though. Most of my colognes are fresher scents though since finding a heavier night time scent is far more difficult. I've got about 5 in rotation right now but I don't like listing them until they drop out. I think my favorite all time scent is one I've been using for about 10 years.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

FIGS - a cheaper alternative to Philosykos is Marc Jacobs for men. You get what you pay for though, so MJ is alright, but Philosykos is really much better. Alternatives on par with Diptyque's quality include Heeley Figuir and Aqua Di Parma Fico di Amalfi. L'Artisan also has one, figuir and then figuir extreme, but I find they're more fem and don't last as long.

12. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

BAIES is my favorite Dyptique candle.

Rose 31 it is, I'll check it out this weekend.

13. Hkstyles

Hkstyles Senior member

angel men pure malt is better than anythings thats been mentioned in this thread.

14. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Well there it is, thread closed.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

BeyondtheRack has some Creed on sale to those interested. Good prices on the 2.5oz ($150) and 4oz ($175) bottles of Himalaya. They also have a 1oz bottle of GIT for $93 along with a few bottles of Royal Water, Virgin Island Water and Tabarome.

Never purchased from them before but it functions like Gilt, so here's an invite to those who wants to check it out: INVITE LINK

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You Creed lovers should really check out the Fragrance Split thread in H&B. Somebody's always wanting to split a Creed in there and this way you don't have to plunk down for the whole bottle when all you want is a bit to have around the house.