1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Smart Home and Home Automation Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Jun 23, 2017.

1. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior Member

The easiest thing is a serviced based IP camera system. You buy a cheap crappy camera like a Nest or the Wyze plug it in and then you pay for the service which varies in cost depending on the features you want to have.

This can get very expensive if you have a lot of cameras. I switched from Dropcam (Nest) to Amcrest and it is so much better for me because instead of pay $60 a month for 4 cameras I just record to my Amcrest NVR. I get about two months worth of footage with 4 cameras. I can control them all remotely. Pan and tilt to look around the house when I am out and it handles power outages better than Nest.

You setup the Amcrest NVR once and you are good to go. The cameras are plug and play, you don't have to fiddle with anything.

That said if you just want motion alerts and live view, you don't have to pay for service for a lot of these IP cameras. It's the recording that gets expensive with service based options.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

We have one that monitors the front door/courtyard and then one on the kitty beds where they like to sleep.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Interesting looking smart home remote. As far as I can tell you use the app to program the buttons and assign for your needs. I could see someone using this for basic tasks like turning off/on lights and playing your favorite Spotify playlist.

Buttons are limited do there's not a lot of utility, but as a companion to your smartphone I can see the advantage of the minimal design.

https://shop.turntouch.com/

I like the look too.

4. BlueTide

BlueTide Member

Disclaimer - I'm leasing at the moment which makes some setups harder.

So far I've rigged the 95% of the place with Hues that are controlled by a Raspberry Pi, motion sensors and Siri, Alexa and Google. This has practically eliminated ever needing light switches. There are cases where voice control is needed (bedroom), but since the colors and timer settings now adapt to sunrise / sunset / work hours & weather, voice mostly reserved for controlling a place where we don't want our dogs to start waking us up.

Google Home (and I'm sure Alexa) is really great in kitchen to set timers, ask Fahrenheit / Celsius conversations etc.

I am wondering what to do next. Nest would be obvious alternative if this was our own place. We also don't have a TV and while I'd love B&O Shape for music, that leasing part makes this impractical again. I'd also really wish to try automated blinders.

5. imatlas

imatlas Stylish Dinosaur

Next, Id hire a security consultant to review your system unless you enjoy your home running as a DDoS botnet.

6. 4rmiture

4rmiture Member

Folks - I've been toying with the idea of installing a controller of sorts to open/close the blinds in my unit. Thinking of some kinda arduino/other device + voice control kit. Has anyone had any experience doing so? If so, what worked (or didn't)?

7. BergiChris

BergiChris New Member

I would never use smart home devices. Hackers are waiting in the backyard.... ;)