• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The slow move into more 'formal' clothes styles

SomeGuy

Reaction score
Forgive me if the title doesn't make much sense, the meds I'm taking have rendered my brain somewhat inoperable. For the last few months I've been building and, slowly, refining a clothing 'to buy' list. Stumbling upon this forum a few weeks ago has *greatly* helped in the refining process. While going through my list again just now (further culling) I realised that the majority of the list (apart from shoes) are very definitely casual-dress oriented. I have no particular desire to change that at this point because for the most part, I don't really *need* to wear anything other than casual wear. However, I'd really like to add a few things just to add a bit of nice, formal-ish, style to my wardrobe-to-be and would like to hear a few recommendations. From previous posts that I've read I should probably start out looking at navy or charcoal suits/blazers (sorry forget which at the moment) and learn how to do those right. Right? Are there any other things I should consider? I should also add that I don't particularly want to buy a suit at the moment. I'm not going to have *that* much money when I go shopping
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start buying good leather shoes and upgrade t-shirts to sport shirts.

mensimageconsultant, that was a nice, quick piece, but could you elaborate on why you advise cargo pants over jeans? I honestly think cargo pants look far, far more casual, though I've always had the darker, less baggy jeans preferred on these fora in mind when I think of jeans.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cargo pants can easily look sloppier and more casual than a nice pair of jeans. There are neat and sloppy examples of cargoes and jeans, of course, but I would sooner wear a relatively neat pair of jeans with a sportcoat than a relatively neat pair of cargoes.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditto especially on the monk straps. I have a cherished pair of dark brown John Lobb Jermyn IIs that I wear with jeans all the time, but go just as well with a suit.

SomeGuy

Reaction score
No cargos. Sorry. I just don't do cargos
smile.gif
I suppose this is pretty irrelevant without posting a snapshot of my actual 'to buy' list:
Shirts T-Shirts:\t\twhite, black, heather grey, blue, red, white, off-whites Polo Shirts:\t\twhite, black, blue, red, brown (ralph lauren purple label) Oxfords:\t\twhite, pink Dress Shirts:\twhite, blue, stripes (inc. pinstripes), french cuff (herringbone, ralph lauren purple label, zegna) Pants Jeans:\t\t(nudies, dry japanese selvedge, straight sven) Dress Pants:\t\t(charcoal, navy) Jackets Windbreaker:\t\t(khaki, charcoal, no hood, cotton) Leather:\t\tDainese Merx (blue/ice/red) + (black leather) Denim:\t\t(nudie, connie dry) Peacoat: Blazer:\t\t(charcoal, navy) Shoes Sneakers:\t\t(adidas, onitsuka) Oxford Lace-Ups: Boots:
Before commenting on the list please note that it's been pared down a *lot* since it started some weeks ago, it's pretty much at a bare bones level. Also, things in brackets are comments rather than final decisions, brands in brackets are more in the sense of, 'i liked something to do with this particular brand for this type of clothing'. Ok, that should cover my backside enough, now you can comment
biggrin.gif
Oh, and this is also not a complete list, I've chopped out the accessories (wallet, watch, etc.) and the underwear sections for the sake of relevancy. I've been thinking about this a lot more than I probably should be and as a result I'm rather confused about the whole thing, even more so than before. Regarding nice shoes, I rather like these: http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family Is this statement correct? It's one of the things that have been confusing me: Dress shirts go with suits while dress pants (which are NOT part of a suit) go with sports shirts? Also, dress pants + dress shirt + blazer != a suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads