• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Skiing Thread

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Surprised as I was to find that there are other people who do what I do on SF, I thought, why not post a thread about skiing in which to post things of interest. Even if you don't ski it's got to be pretty entertaining to watch, so if nothing else, this should kill time for many of us. Maybe I'll be the only one posting stuff but I know there are a bunch of you on here. Those of you out there from TGR or Newschoolers or other similar communities, emerge and post edits, news, things that have caught your eye recently. There's so much of it now it's hard to pick out the must-watch stuff. Snowboard edits etc also welcome. I'll start with what has to be the best teaser I've ever seen. http://www.candidekamera.com/cinemaroom/cinemaroom.html

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful !

we had a wondeful ski season this year.... and still is going on... we expect an snowfall tomorrow and on wednesday ....

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I'll start with what has to be the best teaser I've ever seen.
http://www.candidekamera.com/cinemaroom/cinemaroom.html

Yes, that edit is absolutely awesome. Candide is has a massive surplus of the steeze and the camerawork/music/etc is great.

For an older movie that kicks ass, check out the Teddybear Crisis. Awesome cinematography/music/skiing... lots of park stuff, but still a great overall vibe.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lake Tahoe is magical. From the summit you see desert on one side and huge blue lake on the other. Nature in NA is like on another planet.
Record snowfall this season.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
For an older movie that kicks ass, check out the Teddybear Crisis. Awesome cinematography/music/skiing... lots of park stuff, but still a great overall vibe.
TBC was great, and not that long ago, though it sort of seems like it now. Kris Ostness is running the production side for Team Down Under at the Jon Olsson Super Sessions going on right now, looking forward to see what he puts out. Tanner's TBC segment is on youtube, actually. I have a framed Oakley ad of the nosepress at 1:35 of this video hanging on one of my walls.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone remeber Warren Miller movies? In the '80s, it seemed like he made one a year.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skiing has changed so much in the past 15 or so years. My day was Plake and Scott Schmitt.

These guys are insane and very talented. No more daffy's or J kicks, a heli was impressive...now not so much.

I LOVE IT.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Anyone remeber Warren Miller movies? In the '80s, it seemed like he made one a year.

Yep. In Ellicottville NY, where we used to ski every weekend, we always used to go to this high-end pizza joint after training. They had Warren Miller movies playing 24/7 there. My cousin actually ended up in one a couple years ago. He also filmed the advertisment for our ski hill and I was in it with the rest of the racing team. His movies kicked ass. I'm sure you remember Glenn Plake?
laugh.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was in Mammoth over the Dec holidays. hadn't been skiing in over 2.5 years due to a back injury. it was ******* glorious. hadn't realized how much i missed it.

-Jeff

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just at Sunday River up in Maine this past weekend and I hadn't been in like four seasons. After one run, I was back to normal and absolutely loving it (while kicking myself that I hadn't gone in four seasons). Was like riding a bike. Am also in the best shape I've ever been in and noticed I could ski longer, harder, and faster than I could before which made things way cooler.

I was using a 4-5 year old pair of Dynastar Trouble Makers (back from when I thought I was going to enjoy terrain parks more than carving...ah, youth!) and now I am absolutely salivating over a pair of Dynastar Contact 4x4's for next season. I cannot wait to move some place colder and more mountainous. What an exhilarating sport.

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
I was just at Sunday River up in Maine this past weekend and I hadn't been in like four seasons. After one run, I was back to normal and absolutely loving it (while kicking myself that I hadn't gone in four seasons). Was like riding a bike. Am also in the best shape I've ever been in and noticed I could ski longer, harder, and faster than I could before which made things way cooler.

I was using a 4-5 year old pair of Dynastar Trouble Makers (back from when I thought I was going to enjoy terrain parks more than carving...ah, youth!) and now I am absolutely salivating over a pair of Dynastar Contact 4x4's for next season. I cannot wait to move some place colder and more mountainous. What an exhilarating sport.

No, please keep the troublemakers! Really, a fantastic ski... no need for some silly skinny carving skis.
biggrin.gif

jefe

Reaction score
More Teddybear Crisis: Jon Olsson's segment is just awesome. Starts about 3:19 in...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you learn to huck like that?

I love it. That was not ever a strong suit of mine.

Chutes, super steeps and bumps are my deal.

ThomasoAIK

Reaction score
Iam missing the white powder was a year or two since i last skiied.

Jon Olsson's new lambo is pretty special to. You have to be able to get your working equipment with you so what else should you do.
DSC00008.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads