The Six Human Needs and Menswear - Why do you dress up?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mossrockss, Jul 30, 2017.

What are your core human needs as identified by the test?

1. Certainty

23 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Uncertainty/variety

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. Significance

29 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Love/Connection

47 vote(s)
    35.1%
  5. Growth

78 vote(s)
    58.2%
  6. Contribution

38 vote(s)
    28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I was recently texting a friend and fellow SF member about clothes when he asked "Are you the David Coggins type? Meaning, do you feel better wearing tailoring day to day (even at home)? I've heard him talk about that." I responded that yes, I do feel better wearing tailoring because it makes me feel cool and special in some way.

He suggested that perhaps that stems from a more basic human need for "significance," which is one of 6 core human needs identified by Tony Robbins (building on the concept of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs).

I thought it would be interesting to create a thread for discussion on this concept with a poll to see if anybody else finds a light bulb going off in their head.

You can take a survey to discover your primary needs out of the 6 here: http://six-human-needs-test.herokuapp.com/members/new

Take that quiz, then vote in the poll with what your primary needs are—you can pick up to 2 because most people have two near the top. Here's a short article where he briefly explains the six needs: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240441

Do you think the results of the test are accurate?

How do you think your core needs influence the way you dress, if at all? What ways do you think that influence comes out in your approach to menswear?

2. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I'll start off the discussion by saying my friend's description of what having significance as a need looks like really struck a chord with me and made things click in my mind: "It's the need to have meaning in your world (or the world) and to have a sense of importance. Basically, the feeling that you're seen and heard and that you matter to people."

That accurately describes many of the reasons I started being interested in menswear years ago. I do like to feel unique/special and like nothing I’m wearing is “common.” However, I’ll balance this out by saying I *do not* seek to be the center of attention, so I don’t try to dress flamboyantly or to call undue attention to myself through outrageous fashion statements. So good-fitting, well designed, flattering tailored clothes fit right in that niche for me—I feel like I look good, am wearing things that the vast majority of those around me are not wearing, but not in a flamboyant or attention-seeking way.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

My human need is a quiz with fewer than 84 questions.

4. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Lol

5. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I'm predisposed to reject or ignore anything associated with Tony Robbins. But I do enjoy answering quizzes like that. Apparently I enjoy learning, among other things, and, for me, menswear does represent an area of learning to be explored. Perhaps that is a large element of the satisfaction I get from my sartorial journey.

6. dieworkwear

Same, although I would take a quiz by Baskin Robbins.

7. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I know, right? Which flavor is right for me, and what does that tell me about myself?

I used to be a plain vanilla kind of guy, but these days I lean more toward pralines n' cream. I think I'm becoming more adventurous as I age.

8. SprezzaTrash

SprezzaTrash Senior member

Like Andy, I enjoy learning and growing my menswear (not necessarily sartorial) knowledge and prowess is what keeps me dressing up. The love of certain details and the connection I make with others through this world is also important to me, since it's a great hobby that you literally get to step out in anytime you want.

I don't like to be a huge center of attention, but it usually happens. I'm the boring contemporary-ish guy for vintage and im the odd, vintage guy for the contemporary circles. Not many people blend the two, so I tend to stand out.

9. buy a painting

buy a painting Active Member

I am surprised that you find this puzzling. Need for being well dressed starts as a manifestation of a deeper need for significance and respect.

It can become a hobby after some time, yes. One can find pleasure in the thing itself afterwards.

But at the beginning, there is always context of being seen by other people.

There's a reason that history of clothing is a history of social stratification.

10. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Senior member

I would like to refute this most vehemently. I don't give a flying whatsit how people perceive the way I dress, or perceive me as a function of how I dress. Never have, never will.

I don't for å moment dispute that a need for respect, admiration and, much more commonly, simply fitting in are undoubtedly the most most prevalent reasons behind a person's choice of attire. However, nothing pertaining to human beings can be stated as universal facts in the manner done above.

11. buy a painting

buy a painting Active Member

This might be start of a nice conversation and I would love to be argued to a change of mind.

How do you interpret clothing in context of history and its anthropological role? My understanding is that its primary function was to signify status and group membership.

12. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

@Andy57 and @dieworkwear there is definitely a limit to how much you can apply the concept to menswear (and whether Tony robbins' contribution to psychology is psychobabble I'll leave for a different discussion). That said his observation brought clarity to something I was trying to think through, majorly.

Might just be me but that's why I started the thread, to see whether it had any application to anybody else !

13. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I think that we all have our reasons for dressing the way (ways?) that we do, and it's quite possible that these reasons may fall into one or more of several "buckets" or themes. I think, too, that's it is an interesting subject for conversation with the caveat that there can be no right or wrong answer. There's also the extent to which each of us is even aware why we do what we do. I would put myself into that category, indeed. It may be that I am a complete narcissist, but I choose not to go too far down that particular line of self-discovery lest I not like what I find.

As for Tony Robbins, I think he is very, very good at getting people to give him money.

14. dieworkwear

Tony Robbins is the early version of Trump University.

15. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Senior member

I believe we grazed upon this theme throughout our banter in the comments section of your posting, 'When to Dress Down', and this seems like the appropriate place to continue...

Professional and lifestyle choices are the catalysts for why I 'dress up'. (I use quotes only because that phrase is subjective, but that's another wormhole.)

For my particular situation in this current life phase, I'm on the road in a client facing capacity 3-4 days a week, every-week, while leading a centralized team. I choose to dress in a way that I deem is appropriate for the situation.

Outside of work, my fiancé and I share passions for exhibits, art, orchestra, wine, dinner parties/hosting, travel, and the like...all of which are appropriate venues for, you guessed it, dressing up.

I currently have a lot of opportunities to throw on a jacket (and a tie when the occasion permits). As with every decade, or half-decade, of my life...I'm sure things will continue to evolve and I will subsequently adapt.

Those are my personal examples but the theme still remains the same - Do what works best for you personally. Focus less on being 'somebody' and more on being yourself.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017