• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the Singapore style

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not white so I doubt I would get hit with that bonus you speak of lamergod.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
I am not too fond of the Singapore Airlines version....but the Garuda Indonesia cabin crew have the coolest uniform of all the airlines in the world....
ga_2010_5.jpg
I think a proper sarong is the hottest thing a girl can wear....

ThatGuy

Reaction score
^^

1. There is no amazing place for fashion in Singapore - Singapore has nothing by way of variety. It's all about Chanel, LV, Prada, Hermes and Ferragamo
2. Hot oriental chicks. Super hot chicks. Hot chicks. WHERE. - They are non-existent here.
3. SPGs are mostly nasty looking. If you go out enough, you would know. - So nasty
smile.gif

4. Girls who don't wear little. And those who wear less are the ones who should cover up more. - Werd!

LOL... thread is great.

And Singaporean guys are all about Jeans and Polo shirts with mandatoy popped collars.

kashmir

Reaction score
What I don't get the most is the mass-compliance culture- now you see male teenagers (and worryingly, young adults) everywhere with fred perry polos (very ugly, IMO), buttoned up to the top; korean hairstyle; skinny jeans/ shorts; flimsy cardigans; ugly shoes or slippers. The white loafers fad has quieted down.

Though, on the other hand, there are some guys who tried to bring tailoring into glamor here (Clothesmith @ tripleOne Somerset)- but I guess the general public wouldn't bother. And the appreciation towards good shoes is nonexistent as well; everything is so heelless.

Of course we shouldn't neglect the fact that the very upper class here is invisible. They went under the lens.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kashmir
They went under the lens.

Why is that?

lol, you guys are making very strong arguments against going there. Well boys when I get down there I'll have a toast to cheap food and ugly woman.

Originally Posted by Desi
I am not white so I doubt I would get hit with that bonus you speak of lamergod.
+1

kashmir

Reaction score
^ I dunno. They are just beyond reach (and beyond rich) and they do not flaunt. Statistics from my last sociology class actually says that the gap between the uber rich and the middle class in Singapore is actually growing. The rich's income has multiplied during the last ten years while middle class income remains. Yes, do enjoy the street food. If you're really adventurous try to find books about it like Makansutra or visit www.hungrygowhere.com

drum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
How's Kuala Lumpur?

Like a poorer, dirtier version of Singapore, didn't find it particularly interesting. If you like cities it's probably best to skip it altogether and just head for Singapore. I found the smaller cities, towns and islands much more interesting as a tourist, but prepare to
ffffuuuu.gif
at the hygiene conditions. Just visit Malaysia for the cheap food, forget about shopping. The girls are meh as in Singapore.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
What I don't get the most is the mass-compliance culture- now you see male teenagers (and worryingly, young adults) everywhere with fred perry polos (very ugly, IMO), buttoned up to the top; korean hairstyle; skinny jeans/ shorts; flimsy cardigans; ugly shoes or slippers. The white loafers fad has quieted down.

Though, on the other hand, there are some guys who tried to bring tailoring into glamor here (Clothesmith @ tripleOne Somerset)- but I guess the general public wouldn't bother. And the appreciation towards good shoes is nonexistent as well; everything is so heelless.

Of course we shouldn't neglect the fact that the very upper class here is invisible. They went under the lens.

Incorrect. The hairstyles in Singapore have no resemblance to Korean hairstyles. Singapore style is more influenced by what you see in HK. There is no such thing as gel/ spikey hair in Korea.

I believe the policy of more foreign talent in Singapore serves two purposes... firstly, to upskill the workforce and secondly, but no less important, is to diversify and strengthen the genetics pool here.

lamergod

Reaction score
What I don't get the most is the mass-compliance culture- now you see male teenagers (and worryingly, young adults) everywhere with fred perry polos (very ugly, IMO), buttoned up to the top; korean hairstyle; skinny jeans/ shorts; flimsy cardigans; ugly shoes or slippers. The white loafers fad has quieted down. Though, on the other hand, there are some guys who tried to bring tailoring into glamor here (Clothesmith @ tripleOne Somerset)- but I guess the general public wouldn't bother. And the appreciation towards good shoes is nonexistent as well; everything is so heelless. Of course we shouldn't neglect the fact that the very upper class here is invisible. They went under the lens.
The new fad is cuff! It's everywhere now. Everyone is wearing selvage jeans. And they are cuffing to the very dangerous capri height. And their cuffed chinos always have this hideous plaid lining inside. I'll checkout Clothesmith. Where is tripleOne?

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lamergod
The new fad is cuff! It's everywhere now. Everyone is wearing selvage jeans. And they are cuffing to the very dangerous capri height. And their cuffed chinos always have this hideous plaid lining inside.

I'll checkout Clothesmith. Where is tripleOne?

opposite pan pacific service apt. beside the youth park

kashmir

Reaction score
Some fun info http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dylan-...496866?sk=wall Dylan & Son- this is one of the tailors that actually tried to have an online presence. Though they are not as young as Clothesmith, but this shows that there are actually SOME demand for sartorial goods. Tell me what you guys can tell from the pictures (quality and all)

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elbow patches are deeply rooted in traditional English hunting culture.

Here in urban Singapore, the only hunting we do are for bargains at the annual I.T fairs. However, that shouldn't stop you from patching 'em up and flaunting a bit of that sartorial flair befitting a concrete-jungle predator.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming you've got a life besides work. Not exactly something I'd wear to the office, unless you're the boss.
laugh.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to address some misconceptions.

Originally Posted by pronxs
just reinforcing the fact that singapore girls are
ffffuuuu.gif

Actually the hot ones don't really care about fashunz. They just wear slut wear.

And the hottest chicks here are the mixed bloods (chinese/eurasian parents etc)

Originally Posted by lamergod
Guys, tip here from a local boy.

You westerners can all the chicks you want here in Singapore just because you guys have a white skin and some funny accent.

The pictures in this website (Which I have in my bookmark) all feature ugly chicks. Come down to Singapore. Head to Clarke Quay or Haji Lane (Which is an amazing place for fashion wear. Here )
Walk around and you'll see some hot oriental chicks. Girls here are generally skinny, and they wear very little because of the weather. The fad now is tank tops and hot denim pants.

Nah, not really. Western dudes can get our local women if they be good looking only. Also alot of our girls be as traditional as hell. By the end of the day, most of them still want an azn husband/boyfriend (but if he's rich doesn't matter).
Evidence: My white friend from germany is good looking and all but he told me our local girls are kinda prude e.g they aren't not that keen to be down to ****.

Dylan & Son- this is one of the tailors that actually tried to have an online presence. Though they are not as young as Clothesmith, but this shows that there are actually SOME demand for sartorial goods.
How are the price points?

porschemad911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
facepalm.gif

1. There is no amazing place for fashion in Singapore.
2. Hot oriental chicks. Super hot chicks. Hot chicks. WHERE.
3. SPGs are mostly nasty looking. If you go out enough, you would know.
4. Girls who don't wear little. And those who wear less are the ones who should cover up more.
ffffuuuu.gif

Only reason to stop by in Malaysia is because everything's so cheap. That is if you can stand the smell of sewers everywhere you go.

1) Agreed.
2) & 3) Definitely disagree, I know some really pretty Singaporeans.
4) After a few nights out - unfortunately agreed.

I've only been to Malacca in Malaysia, interesting but much prefer Singapore. Want to go to Penang for laksa though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads