The Simpsons... what happened?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by FidelCashflow, Dec 12, 2007.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Probably because no one can really remember when the last time the onion was funny. It is more like "I knew a guy who met someone who said he once read something funny on the onion" but no one can ever find it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._searching_for

The throw-away lines are the best though, the onion does one liners well (whether it be headlines or throw aways).

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

But why? There's a constant turnover of writers (IIRC, the Simpsons has about a dozen at any given time,) and since it's a cartoon, they don't have to deal with characters aging, pushing the show beyond it initial strengths. I don't see why a good cartoon can't continue indefinitely.

On the rare occasion I see an episode these days (once a season at the very most), it's just kind of meh. I mean, it's not offensively bad, but all the jokes just kind of fall flat.

3. MrG

MrG Senior member

I expected it to be terrible and so was pleasantly surprised by the laughs I got.

That makes sense, then. I was really excited about it, and I hoped it would be sort of a magnum opus. At the very least I hoped it would be similar to the South Park movie in terms of quality relative to the show.

I suppose I set myself up for disappointment.

4. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

But why? There's a constant turnover of writers (IIRC, the Simpsons has about a dozen at any given time,)

iirc each one of the current staff has a harvard degree.

the old episodes managed to tell the story of a full movie within 20 minutes, and all the plots within were knitted into each other without giving the characters the same moral lesson like it's in other sitcoms ..

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

iirc each one of the current staff has a harvard degree.
    This definitively proves that Harvard isn't the best school in the world.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I agree with the critics. The show was one of the best ever--maybe the best ever--from seasons 2-7, peaked around 4, IMO--and went downhill after that. I stopped watching after season 10 and don't miss it at all. The movie had some good laughs, though.
    This has been my experience with it, almost exactly. The classic episodes could be funny and amazingly touching at times. For example, the episode where they discuss why there are no pictures of Maggie around the house and then flashback to her birth, building up to the very end where Homer covers up the sign Mr. Burns made him place in front of him (Don't forget you're here forever) with pictures of Maggie to say "Do it for her." That episode was really funny, and that ending was great.

7. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    This has been my experience with it, almost exactly.

The classic episodes could be funny and amazingly touching at times. For example, the episode where they discuss why there are no pictures of Maggie around the house and then flashback to her birth, building up to the very end where Homer covers up the sign Mr. Burns made him place in front of him (Don't forget you're here forever) with pictures of Maggie to say "Do it for her." That episode was really funny, and that ending was great.

That was a great episode; haven't seen it in a while.

For me the episodes just aren't memorable either. Before if someone missed an episode I would be able to recall what happened along with the really funny moments. Now, if someone asks "did you watch The Simpsons last night?", my response would be "yes, but I don't remember what it was about". That started probably 10 years ago.

8. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

I feel like the last season or two has been superior to seasons...14-19/20ish.

9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

things fall apart
    the center cannot hold

It's still sporadically funny, though. It's just not the genius piece of entertainment it once was.

10. msza

msza Senior member

It seems they've been focusing on Bart more this season, which I've enjoyed. It's old skool. I think it still has brilliant jokes, just not as often -- maybe three or four per episode, whereas in the 90s it was brilliant through and through.

11. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=17

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=18

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=27

Southpark was indeed amazing. it started great, got shit about 6 seaons in, started to lose th plot and go down hill, but after another 3 seasons, it got great again and the current eppisodes are better than the originals!

i dont think any other show can claim that.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

YES.

13. suited

suited Senior member

The last episode I saw had something about American Idol in it. The show was great when it had zero pop culture. I haven't watched it for a long time, but still remains in my top 3 all time favorite shows because of how good it once was.

14. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

South Park currently is amazing, I feel better than the older stuff.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

I agree with this. I don't think the last couple of seasons have recaptured the show's early brilliance, but there has been an uptick in quality.