• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Simpsons Movie

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably the movie I've looked forward to the most in the last few years (sad, I know) and one of the few I'll likely see in a theater since I"ll bring my kid(s). I just wonder if it will turn out to be a disappointment like so many TV to movie adaptations. Despite the animation, it is somewhat of a sitcom and those don't usually work well in a 2hr format. After all, can they really improve on the TV show?

I've only seen the trailers: http://www.simpsonsmovie.com/main.html but does anyone have any insider info on the film? What's the buzz on the Simpsons movie?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suck or not, I'm still gonna watch it coz its The Simpsons. Go Ralph!

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The show sucks, I don't know what hidden talent the writers could possibly be drawing from for the movie.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
An editor friend told me that the word is multiple recuts due to awful screening reviews.

uhoh.gif

I have high expectations... they must have been saving all of the good jokes from the past 6 or so seasons for this movie. However, it's highly likely I'll end up renting it instead of seeing it in the theatre.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Suck or not, I'm still gonna watch it coz its The Simpsons. Go Ralph!

Exactly. I feel a heavy moral obligation to see it, just because it's The Simpsons.

habeas_dorkus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
uhoh.gif

I have high expectations... they must have been saving all of the good jokes from the past 6 or so seasons for this movie. However, it's highly likely I'll end up renting it instead of seeing it in the theatre.

I haven't watched regularly for five or six years because it's just been bad. The whole tone of the show has seemed off to me for a long time.

Probably will see the movie in the theater, though.

B1FF

Reaction score
I know a lot of Simpsons fans, but none of them has seen a single episode in the last three years. These are people who will stay up until 4am to connect to the first South Park BitTorrent that appears.

I checked a few months ago, and the newest episode I like originally aired in 1994.

Who still watches this thing?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of people man, it's still a top rated show. For me, the show has been humour challenged for at least the last ten years when they transitioned Homer from the lovable, if often inept father, to the callous, family hating jerkass. The show hasn't had heart since the mid-1990s.

For me, I have no intention of watching a movie based on an lame show.

habeas_dorkus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Lots of people man, it's still a top rated show. For me, the show has been humour challenged for at least the last ten years when they transitioned Homer from the lovable, if often inept father, to the callous, family hating jerkass. The show hasn't had heart since the mid-1990s.

For me, I have no intention of watching a movie based on an lame show.

Wow. I guess when I wrote that I hadn't watched regularly for five or six years it was because I still assume I'm five years younger than I actually am.

It really has been more like 10 years -- mid-90s and the advent of "jerkass Homer" -- since I've seen many shows.

The heart of the show has definitely been gone for a long time. I think that's the different tone I'm thinking of.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll watch it opening night - but i know it'll be disappointing. The show just isn't funny anymore, it's like their 'straining' to get laughs. If they've used the same writers then the movie won't be funny either.

I read a review from a guy who had seen most of the movie; he said it concentrates on the family too much, and not on the other characters enough. That can't be good.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been a fan of the simpsons since they started on tracy ullman. when i lost my virginity, had the simpsons on the t.v. (don't remember the episode), in spanish.

i want to see it in the theater, but not opening night. and like others correctly state, i have high hopes and low expectations. none of the ads i've seen has been funny.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As per popular consensus here, the show has really been ****** for at least the past 4 years. They shouldve ended the show sometime back then with a movie. Anyway, the movie looks like **** from what I see of the commercials/trailers and I have zero interest in watching it - this coming from a die hard fan (of the older episodes).

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Off-topic, but I went to the 7/11 converted Kwik-E-Mart here in Dallas. It was packed with lines of people eagerly waiting for Squishees, box of Krusty O's in hand, and Buzz Cola packs at their feet. The employees wore the appropriate uniforms, and there were even pink donuts in the pantry. The thing I noticed was that there was every sort of person in there: little kids, old people, the 30 year old fanboy with huge camera, hot girls, fat girls, teenagers, bikers, blacks, Mexicans, everyone. Even if the show has sucked in recent memory, it's mass appeal is still around.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Off-topic, but I went to the 7/11 converted Kwik-E-Mart here in Dallas. It was packed with lines of people eagerly waiting for Squishees, box of Krusty O's in hand, and Buzz Cola packs at their feet. The employees wore the appropriate uniforms, and there were even pink donuts in the pantry. The thing I noticed was that there was every sort of person in there: little kids, old people, the 30 year old fanboy with huge camera, hot girls, fat girls, teenagers, bikers, blacks, Mexicans, everyone. Even if the show has sucked in recent memory, it's mass appeal is still around.
Was there a heavily accented Indian clerk?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads