Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Significant Others of MC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bourbonbasted, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Nothing is universally attractive. And there is no doubt that tailored clothing is going to resonate much better with some women than others.

But the real power of tailored clothing is that it gives you a wider range. This is, indeed, about as close as you can come to a universal babe-magnet. But you have to be able to do it right and this may require some sacrifices. The archetype here is, of course, James Bond.

There are two guiding principles. The first is context. You need to be able to dress appropriately, both up and down. And yes, this may occasionally require you to dress as a "slob." But, and here is where the tailored clothing really comes in, you also need to be able to rev it up. So you wear the t-shirt, go to the family bbq and drink beer with the cousins. But the next night, you put on a suit and go to a good restaurant. As you will be much better dressed than most of the other patrons but still perfectly appropriate, you will own the room and get treated with a surprising amount of respect by the staff. Most women, for some reason, find this combination deeply attractive.

The second principle is what I call the dog test. Suppose you are wearing a suit at a party and the family dog comes up to greet you. Let's say the greeting is on the enthusiastic side. What do you do?

If the answer is, squat down and scratch him behind the ears while ignoring the dog hair, slobber and mud that you are getting all over your expensive suit, you pass. If the answer is shy away in horror, you fail. If the answer is shy away in horror while calling desperately for someone to control this animal, you fail and don't get to take the test again.

If there is any universal principle here, it is that you own your clothes, the clothes don't own you. You use them for your own purposes. If wearing an old t-shirt is the right thing, that's what you do. If you need to scratch a dog while wearing a suit, that's what you do. This is why James Bond is James Bond and not an effete dandy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I think you just called all of us unmanly. :embar:

3. gavrarabba

gavrarabba Well-Known Member

Nah, online forums is different than discussing it...not sure why but it is.

4. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Welcome to the boards, Mark. Good story about you and the missus. Familiar story about how badly Americans dress. *Sigh*

Hey, if the codpiece fits...

:happy:

5. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

I like this

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

Bravo! A man with principles.

7. StruckDumb

StruckDumb Member

Ha. That can work in our favor (to those of us in America). I was one of the few people, outside of the wedding party, wearing a tie at the last wedding I was at. I knew it would be casual so I just wore a blazer, but it paid off with the attention of single bridesmaids. It can be a mixed bag, but the blessings pay off. That being said, I've experienced everything from gentle ribbing to criticism. Especially due to the number of shoes I own, which I still don't find ridiculous...

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

My wife appreciates my extreme erect alterations.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My wife huffs and puffs at taking my pics in the morning sometimes, but I remind her of the time she offered to use her breasts to sell bead bracelets to my eFriends online and she stops.

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

That's just wrong on so many levels. :nodding:

11. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Anyone else think this thread was going to be an illicit pic fundraiser, chaired by bris and NYR?

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

QED?

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

My wife's father has just offered to pay for a (reasonably-priced) bespoke suit for me... [​IMG] whether my wife likes it or not, at least her dad appreciates a fine suit.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

some thoughts:

1. Dressing inappropriately formal (and I realise some people can get away with it more than others) makes people uncomfortable. It shouldn't, but it does.

2. Dressing casually is not dressing like a slob. I'm not saying you should buy designer sweatpants, because I don't buy into that, but I think in a modern world someone who wears tailored clothing exclusively is likely to be living in their own hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

3. Beware of women comments such as "Channing Tatum has such nice, relaxed style". Read: he's extremely good looking.

4. and yeah, what Bounder said about different people having different tastes, and also making sure you're comfortable in your clothes.

I don't really care what my girlfriend thinks about the clothes I wear, unless we're going to a special event in which she wants us to be turned out in a certain way. Yeah, it looks lame and high-schooley when she picks out a tie to go with her dress, but I don't mind a bit of kitsch if it makes her happy.

15. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

This is pretty spot on in my opinion. There are times to look casual and there are times to suit up, but as has been said, casual does not mean looking like a slob. For example: My brother and I went to a club last Thursday. The guy in front of me was wearing a baggy polo and ill-fitting black cargo pants and was not allowed in. I had on a slim-fit T-shirt/nice jeans and was let in with no problems. The "dog test", as you put it, reminds me of the quote that goes something like: "A man should look as if he dressed himself carefully and then forgot all about it."