• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Significant Others of MC

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
We often take time here to talk about how our passion is received by the outside world. How many men instantly mark us as ****, how many women find us "metro" (or something equally ridiculous), how people do not understand how we can spend so much time and money in the name of style, etc, etc. However, I'm interested to know how those closest to us view our interest in tailored men's clothing.

Recently I started dating a girl who told me that she had never been drawn to a guy who wore tailored clothing before. She said generally suits were a turn-off to her and that she favored a much more relaxed, unstudied aesthetic when it came to what guys wear (read: "macho" sloppy). While she admits to liking my approach to dressing the more she sees it, it was weird for me to think that a girl would be turned off by a guy in tailored clothing. Especially considering every girl I've dated up to her has loved how much pride I take in getting dressed.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered a similar situation. I'm equally as curious to hear what other members' wives, girlfriends or even female friends think of their style. Do they think of it as a passion, a hobby, a guilty pleasure? Do they poke fun or encourage?

Since so many people come here and inquire about how to get laid by dressing well or how to catch the eye of a woman through style, I think some discussion on how the women we know and/or sleep with perceive our tastes and interests is warranted. Discuss.

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
Pretty much every woman I know likes the way I dress.

The wierdest thing was having a lesbian ask me about my clothes. Turned out she was new to the area and wanted a reliable dry cleaner for *her* suits.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a relatively recent convert to better dress, and my wife doesn't know what to think. She was the one who previously gave me fashion advice, and would typically dress me in monochrome (taupe suit, light beige shirt, medium beige tie, for example). Given that I have a medium to high contrast complexion, this didn't work at all. I have also had to disabuse her of the notion that we need to match when attending events together.

I suppose, all told, she prefers my newer method of dress, but is slightly frustrated that she is unable to give me any advice, and has given up doing so.

Dewi

Reaction score

I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered a similar situation. I'm equally as curious to hear what other members' wives, girlfriends or even female friends think of their style. Do they think of it as a passion, a hobby, a guilty pleasure? Do they poke fun or encourage?

Yes.

Jermyn

Reaction score
I once went on a couple of dates with a girl that pleaded with me not to 'dress so nicely' when seeing her. She said it made her uncomfortable. Needless to say, that one didn't last very long.

Now my girlfriend is a model, she loves thrifting and has a healthy eBay business, selling her finds. She loves to get dressed up and she blogs about fashion. One day she started picking shoes out of my wardrobe as I was getting ready, saying "this one has oxford lacing, this boot is cordovan etc.". In exchange, I can now say that I know what peplum is and that I understand the concept of a halterneck top.

The closest she comes to telling me what to wear, is helping me to pick out a pocket square or tie. She's usually right.

Definite keeper.:bigstar:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently I started dating a girl who told me that she had never been drawn to a guy who wore tailored clothing before. She said generally suits were a turn-off to her and that she favored a much more relaxed, unstudied aesthetic when it came to what guys wear (read: "macho" sloppy). While she admits to liking my approach to dressing the more she sees it, it was weird for me to think that a girl would be turned off by a guy in tailored clothing.

Sounds like an episode of How I met your Mother:

tumblr_luq9ozbtqw1qbathb.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently I started dating a girl who told me that she had never been drawn to a guy who wore tailored clothing before.

Tell her, assertively, that you're wearing a wife-beater under your suit. She how she reacts to that.

I'm equally as curious to hear what other members' wives, girlfriends or even female friends think of their style. Do they think of it as a passion, a hobby, a guilty pleasure? Do they poke fun or encourage?

Mrs. Thread is both pleased and amused. I get compliments on how I look and gentle ribbing on how much I care about it.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Been married for 9 years and for the first several years my wife tried (to little avail) to reform my style (or lack thereof). Most of her suggestions were more on the fashion/trendy side of things rather than classic style. And why would I expect her to know classic men's style? We were in our early 20's and had little knowledge of anything, much less fine sartorial taste.

Since then I've been slowly discovering better clothing (in both style and quality) and she loves it. She loves being on the arm of the best dressed guy in the room (which isn't difficult living in Denver, the flip-flop-cargo-shorts-affliction-shirt wearer's mecca). Seriously, you should see what people wear to weddings around here, it's a casual wasteland. My obsession does seem to consume my thoughts and conversation choice from time to time but she's very good at bringing me back down to earth gently.

By the way, this is my first post on Styleforum. Glad to meet you all. Glad to be here.
fing02[1].gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I once dated a girl who didn't like the spalla camicia. dumped her on the spot. true story.

You know thats not Italian for *************, right? :devil:

My wife generally appreciates the way I dress, but occasionaly wonders why I can't wear a band tee shirt, jeans, and trainers to family parties like her cousins and brothers. And it's not like I'm wearing a suit to these events (sometimes a sport jacket depending on the event).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife expects me to be somewhat eccentric and I don't disappoint her. I think she wishes that I didn't have so many shoes though. She also has an very interesting wardrobe, but rarely wears most of the good stuff these days as we've gone from living in Toyko to an island in Hicksville, Ontario.

kayjaybee

Reaction score
My wife just bitches about how much money I spend on my wardrobe. I've always been confident in the way I dress and my style and purchases continue to positively evolve with the help of SF and its members. And of course, my buddies always give me **** when they find out how much I spend...fuk 'em, they're just jealous. LMAO!

MarkThomas

Reaction score
You know thats not Italian for *************, right?
devil.gif

My wife generally appreciates the way I dress, but occasionaly wonders why I can't wear a band tee shirt, jeans, and trainers to family parties like her cousins and brothers. And it's not like I'm wearing a suit to these events (sometimes a sport jacket depending on the event).

Haha, the only band tees I have left are U2 tour shirts that I've bought at the concerts throughout the years. I was wearing one the other night before bed and she says: "Now there's the man I married." I told her I could quit the sartorialism at any time and go back to looking like a slub. She quickly declined the offer. hah

HughJ

Reaction score

By the way, this is my first post on Styleforum. Glad to meet you all. Glad to be here. 
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Welcome. :)

My girlfriend shares my enthusiasm, but I do get some gentle ribbing when I'm being overly anal.And rightfully so LOL

gavrarabba

Reaction score
Great topic. My wife loves me in a well tailored suit, like that Facebook thing going around that A finely Tailored Suit is to a Woman like Lingerie is to a Man. She just doesn't want me to talk about it. I'm all for nice clothes, a great pair of shoes, accesories etc. But there is something very unmanly about discussing it. It's ok to complement someone, but that's it - move on. I see my wife's point. Just look good and shut up (knowing you look good).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads