The "shovel" sole

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jerrysfriend, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

When Bennie's got the J & M Handmade with the  "shovel" sole, I thought that I had seen that sole, or a near likeness of it, in a shop window in Milan. I was wrong; it was in Florence. I was in both cities several times in the last 20 years. See here: http://www.firenze-oltrarno.net/ugolini/ Surprisingly, Bennie's still some J & M Handmades left. When I was in the Piedmont Road store recently, I saw about a dozen pairs of the Handmades still on the racks, in sizes 6-8.  At $250 per pair they are a better deal than the Grensons at $150, if that is possible. When the Handmade went out of production in 1999, they were $1,000. After five years of inflation, they would be about $1,250, if they were still being made today. The Handmade, at $250 vs. $1,250 normal retail, is a better buy than the Grensons at $150 vs. $575-$625 normal retail.

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Many thanks for posting this link, I'll be sure to visit this establishment next time I'm there. koji

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

In case you guys missed the recent thread on the subject, the Vass U-last shoes were designed specifically for the Ugolini RTW line.

5. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

Beautiful shoes. I was in Florence this past summer, but didn't pay much attention to clothes and shoes. Most of the time I spent visiting the many museums and palazzio-s that adourn that magnificent city. Since I'm going again next year, I would be interested in knowing the prize range of those shoes. If there are other shoemakers in Florence, please let the forum know. ooo

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I first saw a U-last shoe I thought the same thing. What actually happened is that representatives of Isetan brought Mr. Vass a couple of shoes and asked if he could make that style for them. So he designed the U last. I think everyone will agree that he did a really excellent job, especially considering that it was his first try at a slim, chisel-toe last.