The shoe repair shop creased my pair of cordovan chukkas...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cynical kane, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Eligius

Eligius Senior member

Based on the fact that Moo tried to do that with a bag he owned and used for months.

Great. So we'll make sure we all read every other post first [​IMG]

2. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Great. So we'll make sure we all read every other post first [​IMG]

Stop complaining or I will come over and crease all your shoes!!![​IMG] \\

Regards.

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow, that is pretty bad.

Agreed. Thats a nasty crease.

5. withstyle

withstyle Senior member

that crease does look bad... you should at least take them back and tell them they need to do everything they can to repair/disguise it for you.

if you need a new cobbler, try Beehive Shoeworks at wells and washington. been going there for years and they are A+. and the woman who runs it LOVES shell.

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

I'm curious, why didn't you address this issue when you picked the shoes up? Chances are the shop didn't even realize this happened. At this point, I would definitely go back in there - if you approach it level headed with a calm demeanour, and without acting like you deserve the world from them, I would imagine any sort of reputable business would go out of their way to offer restitution.

7. 1wb

1wb Senior member

I understand the OP's concern. An unnatural crease is an unnatural crease, and with shell, a crease in the wrong place can spell pain down the road. In this case, I imagine the boots are still perfectly wearable, but I don't see how applying Topys should have resulted in this. It's not the same as honest wear, no more so than if they'd come back with a water stain on them. Sure, it might happen at some point, but it shouldn't happen at the hands of a professional you're paying, presumably for his expertise.

What to be done? That I don't know. I just wouldn't go back to that cobbler if there are other options.

That crease is on the side, by the ankle. Won't be a problem. Let them know how you feel, start brushing, keep brushing, and soon you won't even remember it.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

It looks as though the shop stored your boots, san trees, under other shoes or something heavy.

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

If you had a problem with it, why not address it when you received them from the cobbler? You've ruined your chances of blaming it on your cobbler and receiving compensation from them.

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

11. withstyle

withstyle Senior member

since reading this thread and posting last night, I may have gained some new insight into the matter... I am wearing my RL Gifford shell chukkas today and they have creases on the side similar (although not as deep) as the one on the OPs pair.

While the repair shop probably did something to accelerate the creases, I actually think they could have reasonably been caused by 1) boot trees or 2) normal wear

1)
    I store my Chukkas with boot trees, and the creases seem aligned with the top of the boot tree inside the shoe. on really crappy, snowy days like today I carry my the boots to work in a messenger bag and I think it's possible that pressure on the side of the boot combined with the location of the boot trees along the ankle caused the creases.

2)
    On the other hand, my ankles are smaller than the opening of the boots, and when I flex my feet the boots crease in the same spot as the OPs... whether they did that before the above occured or not is unclear.

For what it's worth, the creases don't bother me and also don't seem "unnatural". They're also mostly covered up by pants except while seated.

If I were the OP, I would still take the boots back to brooks for repair/re-polishing, but if the creases re-appear or get worse over time I wouldn't sweat it much. IMO, what would be a disaster on a pair of calfskin shoes just adds character to shell.

12. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I understand the OP's concern. An unnatural crease is an unnatural crease, and with shell, a crease in the wrong place can spell pain down the road. In this case, I imagine the boots are still perfectly wearable, but I don't see how applying Topys should have resulted in this. It's not the same as honest wear, no more so than if they'd come back with a water stain on them. Sure, it might happen at some point, but it shouldn't happen at the hands of a professional you're paying, presumably for his expertise.

What to be done? That I don't know. I just wouldn't go back to that cobbler if there are other options.

+1.

Those look bad, and there is no reason you shouldn't take them back to Brooks and let them know what happened. It's possible that they do not know that it happened at all -- or they are hoping you wouldn't complain.

Either way, you should at least take it back.

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I can almost exactly tell you what happened to cause that unnatural crease.

I surmise that your boots were put on a metal apparatus (don't know the name, but I've seen them at cobbler shops) so that the sole of the shoe faces the cobbler, so that he can either put taps on or Topy. The twisting motion during application of the Topy resulted in pressure on the side where the crease is showing.

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I had a very bad experience with Brooks. They will not do anything to remedy this either.
    They butchered a pair of Church's of mine.

15. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

So I took my new pair of ravello Alden chukkas into Brooks Shoe Repair in Chicago, based on positive recommendations from Styleforum members. The job was simple: apply a Topy rubber sole, and wax the shoes.

When I got the shoes back one of them looked like someone had folded it over and ironed it. There's an ENORMOUS crease, a bright tan line across what was once a solid brown shoe.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1265045442

and here is the good shoe for comparison:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1265045791

(They are the same color, but I think the flash hit the left shoe differently from the right shoe.)

The purpose of this post is twofold
    * If you're in chicago, AVOID Brooks
    * I plan to go back and chew them out, but my question is can this damage be fixed, and how so?

Edit: For Pete's sake, this isn't "natural wear". The damage is highly visible, in an unnatural place, and is uncharacteristic of the wear you see on cordovan, which doesn't make sharp crease lines. Calfskin shouldn't make lines that sharp, either.

I have #8 chukkas. Mine are beginning to crease there as well. I have only worn my shoes ~ 5 times. Seems that the shoe tree is causing this.