• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jayvee

Reaction score
I have a pair of MTO boots that I was very happy with until I relaced them for the first time. Under where the laces are there are marks. I can’t tell if they are scuffs or cracks but obviously I am not too happy. I’ll try and post pictures but it might be difficult to see. Hopefully it’ll buff out, any tips for treating it? It’s in awkward place to get to right by the eyelets.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You could try buffing, brushing, or rubbing them with a bone or the back of a spoon (yes, people do that with shell cordovan!) but, in all honesty, laces make marks on any and all shoes and I can't imagine that anyone apart from you will notice or be concerned about it.

Yes, I know that it's frustrating when shoes get marks on them, especially for the first time, but it happens and will happen again so best not to fret over it too much.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^You could try buffing, brushing, or rubbing them with a bone or the back of a spoon (yes, people do that with shell cordovan!) but, in all honesty, laces make marks on any and all shoes and I can't imagine that anyone apart from you will notice or be concerned about it.

Yes, I know that it's frustrating when shoes get marks on them, especially for the first time, but it happens and will happen again so best not to fret over it too much.
Thanks I plan to try that. If it is rub marks I can live with it but I am more worried that’s it’s starting to crack.
Also try Bick 4, VSC, or Saphir Renovateur.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I plan to try that. If it is rub marks I can live with it but I am more worried that’s it’s starting to crack.

I've got six or seven pairs of shell cordovan boots and they all have rub marks under the laces. Some of the rub marks are more stubborn than others. Most can be rubbed out with brushing or my thumb but there are some marks that I'm not entirely sure CAN be rubbed out. It happens. Doesn't impair the appearance of the shoe in the slightest. You'll crease your shoes, ding them and scuff them when you wear them. But if you take good care of them and brush and condition them regularly they'll look spectacular for many years to come.

Blastwice

Reaction score
I have a pair of MTO boots that I was very happy with until I relaced them for the first time. Under where the laces are there are marks. I can’t tell if they are scuffs or cracks but obviously I am not too happy. I’ll try and post pictures but it might be difficult to see. Hopefully it’ll buff out, any tips for treating it? It’s in awkward place to get to right by the eyelets.

I would be a lot more concerned if there were not marks under the laces. This happens with every leather, every pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads