• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EB shark and shell, I love this combination.
View attachment 1236392
Yes, That is a sweet combination!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks man, like your boot too, despite it being feminine...lol....those AE enthusiasts are a special category. I relate the typical AE fan’s aesthetic as very similar to a Trickers fan, quite unique in their tastes. Perhaps it’s why a boot as outstanding as another great AE boot, the Sullivan Street, did not get the traction one might otherwise expect.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, like your boot too, despite it being feminine...lol....those AE enthusiasts are a special category. I relate the typical AE fan’s aesthetic as very similar to a Trickers fan, quite unique in their tastes. Perhaps it’s why a boot as outstanding as another great AE boot, the Sullivan Street, did not get the traction one might otherwise expect.

The Sullivan Street WILL have its day. AE moves the chains slowly, but that boot will dance with the devil in the pale moonlight, before this story ends.

And Shark and Shell with be high on my list, thanks to you, filthy barn weasel.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're not all Homers.

Homers-car.jpg

And the issue with the Sullivan St. is similar to the Fifth St. Never on any meaningful sale. No regular shell option doesn't help either.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the issue with the Sullivan St. is similar to the Fifth St. Never on any meaningful sale. No regular shell option doesn't help either.

Yes, this is what I alluded to. Seems to me that boot should sell regardless of sale or not. But, it either appeals to the AE base or it doesn’t I suppose.
AE also apparently can’t get out of its own way as well. Not offering in shell is just baffling, hope they haven’t destroyed the tools to make them as well...lol

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes, this is what I alluded to. Seems to me that boot should sell regardless of sale or not. But, it either appeals to the AE base or it doesn’t I suppose.
AE also apparently can’t get out of its own way as well. Not offering in shell is just baffling, hope they haven’t destroyed the tools to make them as well...lol

I've been on the shell Sullivan Street for a long time now as well. I think it's their best boot and was my recommendation when I was giving TS feedback to Ashley back in the spring. I think it would sell like hotcakes and be less nichey than the bal boots and something a little different than the first ave and hm that were offered last time (but equally accessible).

I realize this is also controversial but I didn't really care about the Bayfield being dropped. I was originally into it but the pattern seems a little raw to me. Eyelet spacing, something about the brogue. Anyway, I agree that the Sullivan will have it's day...

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on the shell Sullivan Street for a long time now as well. I think it's their best boot and was my recommendation when I was giving TS feedback to Ashley back in the spring. I think it would sell like hotcakes and be less nichey than the bal boots and something a little different than the first ave and hm that were offered last time (but equally accessible).

I realize this is also controversial but I didn't really care about the Bayfield being dropped. I was originally into it but the pattern seems a little raw to me. Eyelet spacing, something about the brogue. Anyway, I agree that the Sullivan will have it's day...

I guess they will, but man I don’t know, it’s a real head scratcher for me. Marketing shoes is apparently tough man. I mean the boot is almost a dead ringer for the EG Galway, which is excessively, insanely overpriced. One would think offering the AE makeup in shell, or simply mimicking the EG makeups would cause a stampede. CS made a little niche for themselves with the strategy. Makes me glad I’m not in the business of selling shoes, I’d be broke because I have no understanding of the shoe consumer.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess they will, but man I don’t know, it’s a real head scratcher for me. Marketing shoes is apparently tough man. I mean the boot is almost a dead ringer for the EG Galway, which is excessively, insanely overpriced. One would think offering the AE makeup in shell, or simply mimicking the EG makeups would cause a stampede. CS made a little niche for themselves with the strategy. Makes me glad I’m not in the business of selling shoes, I’d be broke because I have no understanding of the shoe consumer.

Well said. Not offering this boot in shell is really difficult to understand.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
They were offering the Bayfield boot for the latest trunk show until they realized they didn't have the tools to make it again so they're reoffering the First Ave - again, a boot they should regularly offer.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were offering the Bayfield boot for the latest trunk show until they realized they didn't have the tools to make it again so they're reoffering the First Ave - again, a boot they should regularly offer.

F19E21CE-04FF-47D3-9CAD-1A9ABA981C6A.gif

Seriously though, I’m happy they’re not really offering lots of great choices this TS. As it is I’m already in for 3 pair. No joke, if they offered the Sullivan, I would have gotten them in all available shell colors. Again though, I’m weird in that I really focus only on boots. So to be honest I’m a total outlier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads