• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds MacNeils today
20190716_073949.jpg

Skelnik

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Edward & James burgundy shell cordovan short wings from Pediwear. I've been looking at these for a while now and finally decided to get them. I received them yesterday and tried them on right away. I am normally a 9D Brannock, 8.5D Barrie, 8E UK, but decided to go with 7.5F UK since these are sold in F width only. I'm glad I did as they fit well. In fact, they fit exceptionally well.

This model is made by Barker for the Edward & James line (which is exclusively for Pediwear). Cheaney makes some of the other styles. I believe all of the shell cordovan models, regardless of the maker, source their shell from the English tannery Joseph Clayton & Sons. I have to say I am impressed with not only the quality of the shoe, but the material as well. I find this shell cordovan to be incredibly similar to Horween's shell cordovan. Time will tell as it ages, but so far I am very pleased. I currently own mostly Alden, Crocket & Jones, Allen Edmonds and Florsheim shell cordovan styles all of which use Horween. However I have owned other brands with styles made from Italian, Japanese and even Argentine shell cordovan. I find this English shell to be superior to those at first glance when compared to Horween (since that is the gold standard in my opinion). I have found the Italian shell cordovan to be next in line but all of that can be left for another discussion.

Pediwear is a fantastic retailer and has remarkable customer service. Their passion for fine gentlemen's footwear shines through with their Edward & James line. I was even impressed with the shoe box itself and the other items they included. I generously received a shine cloth, shoe bags, shoe horn, and an extra set of laces all of which are high quality.

I do find the shoes rather stiff, but this seems to be because of the Dainite sole and leather lining which makes them quite thick. This lends to the overall feeling of quality and durability though. I expect a somewhat slow break-in period, but only time will tell. I'll try to post a review in the future after I wear them a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 65

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon MacNeils today for me too.

miburo

Reaction score
Please remove my post if in wrong thread but:
Are these boots cordovan? mrporter states they are but I REALLY don't think so.
wFl0NBD.png

I believe looking at that texture it might be horsehide? but not shell

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe looking at that texture it might be horsehide? but not shell

True. All shell is horse, but not all horse is shell.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is zebra shell striped? :rotflmao:

I believe I read that color changes on the surface can cause differences in the shell. It’s one of the reasons so much shell is dyed black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads