• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TimothyF

Reaction score
???Any leather will crack if not properly cared for, shell is no different. As long as one conditions and properly cares for their shell, it will be fine. I’ve got a many pairs that are older than or approaching the age of your example and they are no signs or issues of splitting.

Fine consider yourself fortunate. I recall that example was from a regular poster on another forum. There are no indications that he took care of his shell cordovan any less than you do. And there would not be "signs" necessarily, one day they just split.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tricker’s
3086fe0f-3e9d-4fae-85b6-d149793cc316-jpeg.1837043

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blastwice

Reaction score
Since we are delving so much into the topic, I took the effort to dig up that thread: https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...ion-v-b-nelson-shoe-restoration.310084/page-8

Discussion around shell rip on page 8. Seems like this gentleman is rather unfortunate, at least 2 pairs of cordovan cracking?

I'd say this is an Alden problem and not a shell problem. That part of the shoe requires additional support in the making which Alden probably doesn't do (or doesn't do well) to save a few bucks.

Another place Alden's often fail is the eyelets. These are where my shell pair started to fall apart before I parted with it.

I haven't seen these problems with other makers like Carmina or Enzo Bonafe, and MTM and bespoke makers are certainly already reinforcing this part of the shoe correctly when they make it. Mine does.

TimothyF

Reaction score
..you tripping….it’s a little early in the day to be drinking and posting my dude.
View attachment 1837563

Time to find search for the right meme? Check
Time to reply with substance? Uh oh

Just face it. Shell cordovan is an idiosyncratic "leather" with its own strengths and, yes, weaknesses. Does it actually last "longer" than other leathers of comparable quality? Jury's very much out on it, and this forum is unlikely to have anything scientific or empirical to prove.

And PS, anyone with eyes can see your "passion" for shoes is an addiction. Sorry dude

TimothyF

Reaction score
I'd say this is an Alden problem and not a shell problem. That part of the shoe requires additional support in the making which Alden probably doesn't do (or doesn't do well) to save a few bucks.

Another place Alden's often fail is the eyelets. These are where my shell pair started to fall apart before I parted with it.

I haven't seen these problems with other makers like Carmina or Enzo Bonafe, and MTM and bespoke makers are certainly already reinforcing this part of the shoe correctly when they make it. Mine does.

Interesting, and I don't dispute what you write. So it looks like the maker best known for shell actually makes its least durable.

Blastwice

Reaction score
Interesting, and I don't dispute what you write. So it looks like the maker best known for shell actually makes its least durable.

Keep in mind the pair that cracked in your link was "15+ years old" which doesn't really strike me as a terrible run for a single pair of shoes.

While Alden is a fine maker, I was not impressed with the durability of the boots I owned and I'm not a huge fan of the finishing they do on their shell either.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to find search for the right meme? Check
Time to reply with substance? Uh oh

Just face it. Shell cordovan is an idiosyncratic "leather" with its own strengths and, yes, weaknesses. Does it actually last "longer" than other leathers of comparable quality? Jury's very much out on it, and this forum is unlikely to have anything scientific or empirical to prove.

And PS, anyone with eyes can see your "passion" for shoes is an addiction. Sorry dude
287B063E-8032-4F4E-8DD2-0D08DD002DA4.gif

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florsheim from Feb 1990.

IMG_2256.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads