• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

katch

Reaction score
Here are the results. Please excuse my dog's bullystick. These were a pair of J&M shell tassels off ebay with really uneven coloring.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
? they look even better in the sunlight. Man those turned out fantastic!
Thanks

Dude, those look excellent outdoors. They're actually close to what current color 4 looks like in my opinion. Very well done.

Not sure exactly which tannery Trickers uses but the wallet that I mentioned upthread was italian shell from Rocado (95% sure). In my case, I did not get the impression that the shell was painted, however, I DID have the view that it was more of a surface dye that was prone to showing the base color of the shell gradually over time. I really tend to doubt that the shell is being painted quite in the way that you are thinking.

The couterpoint to this is some of the color issues that I've seen with, I think, Shinki shell that Meermin tends to use. I've seen some examples where there seems to be some color loss and flaking (not sure how else to describe) in the rolls or tight creases. Doesn't seem to be every sample but have seen it a few times.
Yea maybe not paint like paint but some kind of shallow top coat that does not soak in.

Chris Pratt Head GIF - ChrisPratt Head Explode - Discover & Share GIFs

This is a perfect example of Shell cordovan life expectancy. Your tan shoes looked old, and now you have brand new-looking Burgundy shoes.
This whole exp makes me want to hunt down old shell shoes and boots that look like crap and turn them around.

I’m about 99% sure those Tricker’s are Comipel cordovan. They have done a few in Horween cordovan but they’ve been prominently marked as such.
Yea not sure but all my Horween shell seems deep soaked with color. I have a few that got deep scratches and deer bone and some brushing and gone.

Again thanks all for the comments.

katch

Reaction score

katch

Reaction score
Those came out nice and the sun really brings out the color.

Do you happen to have before shots? maybe the ebay listing shots.

Have you had a fair amount of dye coming off as you wipe down with a rag?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I got really worried when you said "bullystick". I had no idea what the hell I was about to see next to your shoes.

Just wait till you google what a bullystick is made out of...

That is very normal.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Even after everything is dried?

Usually the majority of the dye will come off when you condition the shoes. In the past I have sort of conditioned and wiped with a rag and you get a lot of color loss during that stage. It's just surface dye that didn't absorb and it is part of the reason why the leather looks weird after the dye is dried (I think). I'd probably try to removed that dye. If it's coming off the shoe it's not been absorbed by the leather and it's just going to stain fabrics and make a mess. Plus, it's probably causing the shoe to show darker than it really is.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me as you see in the pics right after I dyed them they looked as you said charred. This was very rough to the touch and grainy. I took an old white sock and started to condition them with cream and so much was coming off. I did not dare dunk the rag in my conditioner jar it would have made the white cream all red. I had to just dunk my clean finger in the jar and dab that on the shoe. By the time I was done the sock was totally burgundy. I did do 2 coats not sure it was needed because they looked the same after each coat but I wanted to be sure I had even coverage. I used the alcohol dye so it really soaked in the stuff is so runny. I did like the way the alcohol dye soaked in only issue is you have to be careful as it will run somewhere you don't want and soak in faster then the blink of an eye.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Walnut, aka bourbon? or is it different

They are a different shade. Walnut was made by Horween for AE around the 2011 timeframe and believe it is an exclusive color. It is most akin to Alden’s Ravello as it is a medium brown shade with a red undertone to it. Bourbon is essentially a dark Whiskey Shell that Horween doesn’t want to certify as Whiskey. It’s supposed to be a Tan Brown shade and is not exclusive to any vendor.

-Mike

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^What Mike said.

900x900px-LL-0c5540ce_TreatYourself2.jpeg

Bourbon displays more yellow / tan.
Walnut is a gorgeous medium to light brown with hints of red.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads