• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so UPS got here at 3 and today is 53 deg out so I really wanted to do this smelly job outside. I had about 2 hours of daylight left and same for reasonable temps.

Jumping right on the project I had ordered British Tan and Burgundy. I decided to try the British Tan first as it was close to original. Out of the gate I thought it would be to light but with the orange interior this was the darkest tan I was willing to go as I did not want anything close to brown. When it first goes on it’s quite dark, but it quickly dries, and I was left at about the color they were when new. The color was even, and it evened out the whole shoe, unfortunately it was very clear that it was not going to cover or hide those black spots.

Having less than an hour of daylight left and it’s getting colder I decided what I had was a good even light base. I pulled out the Burgundy and throw the dice off I went dyeing away. This was going on very dark and as it was drying, I was not seeing the black spots. I waited 15 min and put on another application and things were looking good. I let it dry 2 hours then conditioned the shell, applied cordovan cream, and brushed.

Overall, I am very happy with my results.

Tips this dye is crazy liquid like so much more than water. Goes everywhere you let it go and even where you don’t want it to go. Even though I did a super tape job it was not good enough some dye made it to the welt. This was my first attempt, so I am learning, and I made a few mistakes. Next time I would put a layer of tape over the first layer making sure not to have any seams near other seams. I did some doctoring up if you look closely you can see it but from 1 foot it’s hard to notice and at 5 feet up no one is going to notice.

My original intention was to go closer to the original color but that was not covering the spots, so I think this is a happy compromise. Maybe a little odd with the red Dainite soles but they have dulled down since new. One note on anyone considering orange or light interiors as you can see my black socks stain the orange.

Remember the original pics these shoes were looking so bad they could only be worn for Junkers.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Some pics from the day they were new, them tired and old, in repair, dyed, done.

New
0.jpeg

Getting old and something got spilled on them causing black spots tried everything to clean no luck.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Cleaned with acetone and ready.
3.jpg

After the Burgundy dye was applied in garage.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

2 hours later in basement.
7.jpg

After conditioning with cream, then cordovan cream, and brushing.
8.jpg

No spots.
9.jpg

This area was the worst and it now looks great.
10.jpg

Also now both toe areas look the same color.
11.jpg

Pic from 1 foot up and looking good.
12.jpg

I think I am very happy with the results.

A really huge difference from what they looked like when new and then old like a totally different shoe.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so UPS got here at 3 and today is 53 deg out so I really wanted to do this smelly job outside. I had about 2 hours of daylight left and same for reasonable temps.

Jumping right on the project I had ordered British Tan and Burgundy. I decided to try the British Tan first as it was close to original. Out of the gate I thought it would be to light but with the orange interior this was the darkest tan I was willing to go as I did not want anything close to brown. When it first goes on it’s quite dark, but it quickly dries, and I was left at about the color they were when new. The color was even, and it evened out the whole shoe, unfortunately it was very clear that it was not going to cover or hide those black spots.

Having less than an hour of daylight left and it’s getting colder I decided what I had was a good even light base. I pulled out the Burgundy and throw the dice off I went dyeing away. This was going on very dark and as it was drying, I was not seeing the black spots. I waited 15 min and put on another application and things were looking good. I let it dry 2 hours then conditioned the shell, applied cordovan cream, and brushed.

Tips this dye is crazy liquid like so much more than water. Goes everywhere you let it go and even where you don’t want it to go. Even though I did a super tape job it was not good enough some dye made it to the welt. This was my first attempt, so I am learning, and I made a few mistakes. Next time I would put a layer of tape over the first layer making sure not to have any seams near other seams. I did some doctoring up if you look closely you can see it but from 1 foot it’s hard to notice and at 5 feet up no one is going to notice.

My original intention was to go closer to the original color but that was not covering the spots, so I think this is a happy compromise. Maybe a little odd with the red Dainite soles but they have dulled down since new. One note on anyone considering orange or light interiors as you can see my black socks stain the orange.

Remember the original pics these shoes were looking so bad they could only be worn for Junkers.

Some pics from the day they were new, them tired and old, in repair, dyed, done.

New
View attachment 1562095

Getting old and something got spilled on them causing black spots tried everything to clean no luck.
View attachment 1562096 View attachment 1562097

View attachment 1562098

View attachment 1562099 View attachment 1562100 View attachment 1562101

View attachment 1562103

View attachment 1562104

No spots.
View attachment 1562105

View attachment 1562106

View attachment 1562107

View attachment 1562108

A really huge difference from what they looked like when new and then old like a totally different shoe.
They look good, nice work!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New
View attachment 1562095

View attachment 1562098

View attachment 1562103

View attachment 1562104

No spots.
View attachment 1562105

View attachment 1562106

View attachment 1562107

View attachment 1562108

Wow, wouldn’t know that you were a noob. Excellent! :thumbs-up: Although, compared to how they started, it’s quite a fall from glory..lol.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

katch

Reaction score

New
View attachment 1562095

View attachment 1562098

View attachment 1562103

View attachment 1562104

No spots.
View attachment 1562105

View attachment 1562106

View attachment 1562107

View attachment 1562108

great job!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

New
View attachment 1562095

View attachment 1562098

View attachment 1562103

View attachment 1562104

No spots.
View attachment 1562105

View attachment 1562106

View attachment 1562107

View attachment 1562108

Awesome work! Congrats on a new pair of shoes :) They look superb.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great job!
Awesome work! Congrats on a new pair of shoes :) They look superb.
Thank you both.

I was really interested to see what they look like in the sun and lucky it is sunny today. Just heading out to the Home Depot but could not resist wearing them to see what they look like outside.

You can really see more of the red tones in the sun. I think they are somewhere between #8 and oxblood.

I was to the point of thinking this pair of shoes was trash. I had even thought of just seeing if they would sell cheap on eBay just to get rid of them and I also just though keep for yard work. Then just got it into my head to see if there was a way to do something and the idea of dye. At first I thought I am probably going to ruin these shoes and for sure they will be in the garden this spring. But I am very surprised at how well they came out I really would have never thought they would look this good and remember I started out dying them with British Tan and changed to Burgundy halfway so initially I was going down the wrong road.

Thanks for all the help and comments guys.

IMG_20210225_075827.jpg
IMG_20210225_075838.jpg
IMG_20210225_075852.jpg

katch

Reaction score
Thank you both.

I was really interested to see what they look like in the sun and lucky it is sunny today. Just heading out to the Home Depot but could not resist wearing them to see what they look like outside.

You can really see more of the red tones in the sun. I think they are somewhere between #8 and oxblood.

I was to the point of thinking this pair of shoes was trash. I had even thought of just seeing if they would sell cheap on eBay just to get rid of them and I also just though keep for yard work. Then just got it into my head to see if there was a way to do something and the idea of dye. At first I thought I am probably going to ruin these shoes and for sure they will be in the garden this spring. But I am very surprised at how well they came out I really would have never thought they would look this good and remember I started out dying them with British Tan and changed to Burgundy halfway so initially I was going down the wrong road.

View attachment 1562324 View attachment 1562326 View attachment 1562327

I think burgundy was the way to go... I did the same thing as you yesterday. Angelus deglazer on a wonky pair of J&M shell tassel loafers. Dark rolls and not so pleasing splotches of dark and light.
1) Deglazer (acetone?)
2) dry for an hour
3) Angelus oxblood and dry for 30 mins or so
4) Angelus oxblood and cordovan 50/50 mix. and dry for 30 mins or so
5) A couple rounds of Bick 4 and brush
6) A round of VSC and brush
7) Saphire Cordovan Creme
8) Alden Color 8 wax

After dying, and before hydrating they looked like they were charred. The result is a dark dark dark color 8. I will get pics of the finished product, but I probably went too dark with the oxblood/cordovan mix.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think burgundy was the way to go... I did the same thing as you yesterday. Angelus deglazer on a wonky pair of J&M shell tassel loafers. Dark rolls and not so pleasing splotches of dark and light.
1) Deglazer (acetone?)
2) dry for an hour
3) Angelus oxblood and dry for 30 mins or so
4) Angelus oxblood and cordovan 50/50 mix. and dry for 30 mins or so
5) A couple rounds of Bick 4 and brush
6) A round of VSC and brush
7) Saphire Cordovan Creme
8) Alden Color 8 wax

After dying, and before hydrating they looked like they were charred. The result is a dark dark dark color 8. I will get pics of the finished product, but I probably went too dark with the oxblood/cordovan mix.

Thanks and can't wait to see your pics. Yes if you look back as my pics just after dying they look charred (I was a bit worried).

You know thinking back to the history of this shoes demise I have to wonder something, were these painted?

These are Trickers and I don’t think they use Horween shell and then we have the very odd original color Cotto. Now thinking back to when I spilled what I think was vinegar on them I don’t think initially they were so bad. I am starting to think that all my efforts to clean them made them worse. This is for sure the one shoe that in the prep pics you can see is much lighter. I bet these were painted and what I did was remove the paint exposing the some of the imperfection below and dulled the overall look.

I looked but could not find this post and I don’t even know what thread it was in that showed I think pics in either inferred or ultraviolet lighting. Somehow this guy took his new shoes that under normal light looked perfect and with this special light you could see so many imperfections underneath. I remember seeing large spots and small spots and I think he said some of the small spots had something to do with hair or pimples.

Anyways I really wonder if some of what I was seeing was actually there the whole time just painted over.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you both.

? they look even better in the sunlight. Man those turned out fantastic!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thank you both.

Dude, those look excellent outdoors. They're actually close to what current color 4 looks like in my opinion. Very well done.

Not sure exactly which tannery Trickers uses but the wallet that I mentioned upthread was italian shell from Rocado (95% sure). In my case, I did not get the impression that the shell was painted, however, I DID have the view that it was more of a surface dye that was prone to showing the base color of the shell gradually over time. I really tend to doubt that the shell is being painted quite in the way that you are thinking.

The couterpoint to this is some of the color issues that I've seen with, I think, Shinki shell that Meermin tends to use. I've seen some examples where there seems to be some color loss and flaking (not sure how else to describe) in the rolls or tight creases. Doesn't seem to be every sample but have seen it a few times.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New
View attachment 1562095

View attachment 1562098

View attachment 1562103

View attachment 1562104

No spots.
View attachment 1562105

View attachment 1562106

View attachment 1562107

View attachment 1562108

Thank you both.

Chris Pratt Head GIF - ChrisPratt Head Explode - Discover & Share GIFs

This is a perfect example of Shell cordovan life expectancy. Your tan shoes looked old, and now you have brand new-looking Burgundy shoes.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m about 99% sure those Tricker’s are Comipel cordovan. They have done a few in Horween cordovan but they’ve been prominently marked as such.

katch

Reaction score
Interested if I can replicate that dark deep purple/eggplant shade with angelus. Maybe it's red and cordovan. I'll do some more experimentation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads