• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assorted photos of my favorite pair of cordovan footwear, made by Buday. I like they way they resist the usual shell rolls which I find "unbecoming"

20160128_165451.jpg
20160328_122309.jpg
20170801_113053.jpg
20191126_102040.jpg

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assorted photos of my favorite pair of cordovan footwear, made by Buday. I like they way they resist the usual shell rolls which I find "unbecoming"

View attachment 1555609 View attachment 1555610 View attachment 1555611 View attachment 1555612

View attachment 1555609 View attachment 1555610 View attachment 1555611 View attachment 1555612
Those are beautiful. I visited their website and did not find their shell offerings. How did you figure out the sizing?

marlinspike

Reaction score
No, it's much darker but the shells that are in the lighter side of it are basically Armagnac.

It seems that dark cognac or what EG calls cognac is probably what you want

Looks like the color I want is Rancourt's Espresso, though that's custom to them. Maker is willing to go through his shells and find something similar. Probably in 3 months or so I'll be posting pics. BTW, if you guys like cordovan, Maftei has been making me some crazy deals on it since covid times have reduced his business. He can make RTW but he is also ok with talking you through how to measure yourself (well...I think really you need a friend to measure you) and doing a bespoke with a test shoe off that. By buying multiples, I'm paying less for bespoke cordovan than Edward Green is charging for RTW.

Those look great. Any reason in particular that you think they resist the rolls more than others?

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the color I want is Rancourt's Espresso, though that's custom to them. Maker is willing to go through his shells and find something similar. Probably in 3 months or so I'll be posting pics. BTW, if you guys like cordovan, Maftei has been making me some crazy deals on it since covid times have reduced his business. He can make RTW but he is also ok with talking you through how to measure yourself (well...I think really you need a friend to measure you) and doing a bespoke with a test shoe off that. Buy buying multiples, I'm paying less for bespoke cordovan then Edward Green is charging for RTW.

Those look great. Any reason in particular that you think they resist the rolls more than others?
Thanks, will look into it

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the color I want is Rancourt's Espresso, though that's custom to them. Maker is willing to go through his shells and find something similar. Probably in 3 months or so I'll be posting pics. BTW, if you guys like cordovan, Maftei has been making me some crazy deals on it since covid times have reduced his business. He can make RTW but he is also ok with talking you through how to measure yourself (well...I think really you need a friend to measure you) and doing a bespoke with a test shoe off that. By buying multiples, I'm paying less for bespoke cordovan than Edward Green is charging for RTW.

I think the style with the broguing helps, whole cuts and PTB's tend to roll more. Also they are a nice snug fit, no extra room for flexing.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful. I visited their website and did not find their shell offerings. How did you figure out the sizing?
I bought them from an SF member @edmorel. They use UK sizing. I don't think they do online sales. Last I heard they were close to going out of business. All shoes are 50% off but you would have to visit beautiful Budapest which is pretty herd to do these days.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage Mason Imperial shell LWBs.

IMG_0004.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads