• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1605570162852.png

C&J Whiskey Harlech! (Paired with Schott 530 Waxy Cowhide Leather Jacket)

Happy Monday!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Black Hole perfectly explains this thing, I crossed the event horizon a long time ago......
lol...sometimes I do feel spaghettified... :crackup:

broiler

Reaction score
Rozsnyai custom chukka boot in Horween armagnac shell.

Finally threw in the towel trying to land a decent pair of C&J McCallums or Alden cigar shell chukkas in my size and went for a wishlist custom order. Was trying for a McCallum clone but with more chiseled toe, antique sole edge like Alden Cigar + contrast goyser stitch.

1605664472877.png

1605664532458.png

1605664554090.png

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oskrusa

Reaction score
Hello SF pals,
I need help figuring out what to do (if anything) with a developing crack on this pair below.

These Enzo Bonafe Balways on col4 are about 3 years of age, perhaps a bit older than that. They are well worn, and well taken care of. I use Saphir cordovan neutral cream regularly on them.

The shell on one of the shafts had a visible line highlighted below since new, at the beginning it was just very faint but has become more accentuated with wear:
_02_20201118_105759.jpg

It is in an area of high stress due to the flexing that naturally occurs while I walk. I think eventually the faulty line will crack open and I was wondering if I should perform some preventative work on it before it happens.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

_03_20201118_105820.jpg

Any thoughts on what to do would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

broiler

Reaction score
Hello SF pals,
I need help figuring out what to do (if anything) with a developing crack on this pair below.

These Enzo Bonafe Balways on col4 are about 3 years of age, perhaps a bit older than that. They are well worn, and well taken care of. I use Saphir cordovan neutral cream regularly on them.

The shell on one of the shafts had a visible line highlighted below since new, at the beginning it was just very faint but has become more accentuated with wear:
View attachment 1499638

It is in an area of high stress due to the flexing that naturally occurs while I walk. I think eventually the faulty line will crack open and I was wondering if I should perform some preventative work on it before it happens.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

View attachment 1499639

Any thoughts on what to do would be highly appreciated.

To me, that looks like an usual spot for a crease to develop. But from the pics, it doesn't appear to be any worse than the standard rolls that develop in the vamp area which shouldn't crack unless you really neglect them.

But if it bothers you, I can suggest applying one coat of Leather Honey to the area to moisturize it. I've done this to dry problem areas on older shell - use your finger to spread a coat on the area and let it sit for a few hours to absorb. I note that this temporarily makes the shell take on a darker, more matte appearance in that area (which returns to normal after a week) so only do this if you're really concerned about dryness (it really moisturizes).

Make sure to only use one coat unless you want to permanently darken and ruin the gloss appearance. I inadvertently ruined a 5-year old pair of C&J Marlow PTBs in which one vamp had a chronically dry appearance. One coat of Leather Honey made it noticeably more moist and flexible so I figured another 5 or 6 coats would be even better. Wrong. It took on a much darker matte finish like nubuck and even after sending back to C&J for restoration, they said they couldn't do anything to restore the finish.

IME shell is very resilient so any product should be applied sparingly and primarily for cosmetic vs. structural reasons.

oskrusa

Reaction score
To me, that looks like an usual spot for a crease to develop. But from the pics, it doesn't appear to be any worse than the standard rolls that develop in the vamp area which shouldn't crack unless you really neglect them.

But if it bothers you, I can suggest applying one coat of Leather Honey to the area to moisturize it. I've done this to dry problem areas on older shell - use your finger to spread a coat on the area and let it sit for a few hours to absorb. I note that this temporarily makes the shell take on a darker, more matte appearance in that area (which returns to normal after a week) so only do this if you're really concerned about dryness (it really moisturizes).

Make sure to only use one coat unless you want to permanently darken and ruin the gloss appearance. I inadvertently ruined a 5-year old pair of C&J Marlow PTBs in which one vamp had a chronically dry appearance. One coat of Leather Honey made it noticeably more moist and flexible so I figured another 5 or 6 coats would be even better. Wrong. It took on a much darker matte finish like nubuck and even after sending back to C&J for restoration, they said they couldn't do anything to restore the finish.

IME shell is very resilient so any product should be applied sparingly and primarily for cosmetic vs. structural reasons.

Hey @broiler,
I am sorry to hear that your Marlows darkened beyond recovery. Thanks for the heads-up about using Leather Honey very sparingly.
At this point I have decided to leave the boots in their box until I visit a local cobbler to get a professional opinion.

Unsubscr1ber

Reaction score
Just took delivery of pair of Peal & Co. shell cordovan bluchers in size 10D, a customer return or old store stock, no doubt. Sadly, they're too small for me (I'm a US 11). They appear to be new, save for having been tried on or displayed. Alas, I'll return them unless there's any interest here in a trade.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just took delivery of pair of Peal & Co. shell cordovan bluchers in size 10D, a customer return or old store stock, no doubt. Sadly, they're too small for me (I'm a US 11). They appear to be new, save for having been tried on or displayed. Alas, I'll return them unless there's any interest here in a trade.

may have some interest, reaching out via pm.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Shinki in Olive, from Meermin to kick around in. Looking forward to the spectrum journey, to where these end up.
BD76E9BB-AD82-4BD4-969B-43C17E90BC8A.jpeg

B2731FD0-A4D8-4E82-8FEA-35384852E4D1.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads