• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any way I can get them darker, more to a burgundy color? If there's hope I'm ready to pull the trigger.

In my experience, lighter shell tends to darken over time, and darker shell tends to lighten over time. However, of course, this also depends upon what treatment is applied to them. It also doesn't happen quickly.

I have a pair of Carmina shell bluchers that were quite light in colour - a light bourbon shade - but which have darkened a bit over the past few years and are now more of a mid-brown. I just give them a coat of Saphir cordovan cream from time to time, rub it in well and brush the shoes. I haven't used anything else to darken them, it just happened over time.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always wanted to pull the trigger on ruby or green shell but I bought a pair of navy shell shoes and always found it hard to pair.

I like navy with medium and dark browns, as well as mid grey. I have a mid grey suit with a subtle blue stripe - navy is made for that.
Rubi is straightforward to pair - great with grey, especially mid to light. Also great with jeans, mid blue, etc.
Believe it or not, green is probably the easiest to pair - substitute it for brown and you’ll be right most of the time.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like navy with medium and dark browns, as well as mid grey. I have a mid grey suit with a subtle blue stripe - navy is made for that.
Rubi is straightforward to pair - great with grey, especially mid to light. Also great with jeans, mid blue, etc.
Believe it or not, green is probably the easiest to pair - substitute it for brown and you’ll be right most of the time.
I have navy shell boots and shoes. I agree with they above recommendations, but would add that they can be paired well with khaki, both cooler and warmer shades.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Saturday. Rancourt Black Marbled Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafers.

Rancourt Black Marbled Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafers - 2020-05-23 - 2.jpg

Rancourt Black Marbled Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafers - 2020-05-23 - 7.jpg

Rancourt Black Marbled Shell Cordovan Penny Pinch Loafers - 2020-05-23 - 9.jpg

-Mike

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could dye them. You could also leave them in the sun, which will change the color gradually but not sure if they would get darker or lighter.

The sun will remove red colors and lighten the shell's color.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks more like mold to me also, as opposed to bloom

No, that's pretty heavy bloom.

I had a pair of cordovan boots that got this on them once as well. Wiped away in 30 seconds with a horse hair brush.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads