• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Is Saphir renovateur good for shell? I have an 18-mo CJ Skye pair of boots that I've worn maybe like 5-6 times now, only. So it's not that they need any cream, but they do show some of the blooming or whatever it's called where it looks like the skin turns a little hairy.

So I figure to give it some conditioner or something. I don't have any shell cream, but do have renovateur as well as Lexol. Should I use either or no need?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is Saphir renovateur good for shell? I have an 18-mo CJ Skye pair of boots that I've worn maybe like 5-6 times now, only. So it's not that they need any cream, but they do show some of the blooming or whatever it's called where it looks like the skin turns a little hairy.

So I figure to give it some conditioner or something. I don't have any shell cream, but do have renovateur as well as Lexol. Should I use either or no need?

I just use Lexol now.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use Lexol now.

Yeah, I see no difference between the various conditioners anymore after years of use. Lexol is cheap and does a good job

Kivi D

Reaction score

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
So I've scoured the internet about darkening shell cordovan but can't really find anything useful.I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. My friend is offering me some ruby shell cordovan boots similar to these: https://www.meermin.es/in_en/10163725530000de-53-101637-ruby-shell-cordovan-e-ruby.html

Is there any way I can get them darker, more to a burgundy color? If there's hope I'm ready to pull the trigger.

You could dye them. You could also leave them in the sun, which will change the color gradually but not sure if they would get darker or lighter.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey before whiskey, since it's memorial day weekend!
20200522_140942.jpg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've scoured the internet about darkening shell cordovan but can't really find anything useful.I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. My friend is offering me some ruby shell cordovan boots similar to these: https://www.meermin.es/in_en/10163725530000de-53-101637-ruby-shell-cordovan-e-ruby.html

Is there any way I can get them darker, more to a burgundy color? If there's hope I'm ready to pull the trigger.
You could try black polish.
You could dye them. You could also leave them in the sun, which will change the color gradually but not sure if they would get darker or lighter.

I think you have three courses of action:
1. Try to darken them yourself. Stook mentions dye but I would start with creme polish as jischwar suggests.That will be slower and not as much color will transfer as with calf, but shell will take color from polish or dye.
2. Have a professional do the work - either a local cobbler if you have one you trust or send them somewhere (Bedo's, for example).
3. Since rubi is a lighter color, it will likely darken over time (I don't have anything in rubi so if someone can verify, please do). This could be either leaving them in the sun, or just wearing them.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing and would just wear them, but different strokes for different folks.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW my ruby Carmina seem to have gotten lighter. They’re about 7 years old.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The wingtips are Tricker's Comipel. I think the color called scarlet.
The other two are Carmina Horween called ruby. I believe it's also known as number 2.
The Carmina shoes are basically unworn.
RvIDkSCjRx2XscTGeGxpNw.jpg
k9xWPgpFQaO2VqzSpgKlVw.jpg
Gtgu0-6HQJuEreNIJsxC-g.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing and would just wear them, but different strokes for different folks.

Well said all around... agree entirely. I also don't have any Ruby shell but I definitely want a pair. I recently got a pair of AE's chili shell, which is probably somewhat close. I would also not change a thing.

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
Always wanted to pull the trigger on ruby or green shell but I bought a pair of navy shell shoes and always found it hard to pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads