• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yengli

Reaction score
Shell newbie here! Could anyone with more shell knowledge tell me what the little spots on the vamp are?! Tried my best to photograph the spots!

Attachments

• IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 79

ducatiti

Reaction score
Shell newbie here! Could anyone with more shell knowledge tell me what the little spots on the vamp are?! Tried my best to photograph the spots!

Totally normal probably just the infamous blooming of shell. Should go away with some brushing, if not Reno or VSC.

ducatiti

Reaction score
So I received my burgundy shell belt from BB. So far I’m satisfied with the quality but have no idea who made them. Based on the joints and pictures below, can you tell?

4C1555A5-C67C-4BAB-84D0-72653C5B075D.jpeg
6D1F9A8E-44BB-423A-A694-65F330BC408E.jpeg
E77F29BC-BADE-467C-BCAE-D8038A9104DD.jpeg
B78B697C-9D08-4329-B8B8-7AA6FC236BB6.jpeg
F7051D5A-5DC8-4BFA-B798-16952ACFABFE.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love the patina of the Harlechs! Safe to assume you use only conditioner and/or neutral shell creme and not the pigmented shell creme, to get this patina over time?
Thanks! Only a few wears on these so far, so what you are seeing is just starting to patinate. Planning on VSC only though.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Thanks! Only a few wears on these so far, so what you are seeing is just starting to patinate. Planning on VSC only though.
Wow, surprised the patina is setting in this nicely, this soon. Look forward to seeing how they evolve

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

It was my understanding that these are just pores in the shell. It's neither common nor uncommon, at least in my personal experience. I have one or two pairs that have some of that.

yengli

Reaction score
Totally normal probably just the infamous blooming of shell. Should go away with some brushing, if not Reno or VSC.
It was my understanding that these are just pores in the shell. It's neither common nor uncommon, at least in my personal experience. I have one or two pairs that have some of that.

Thank you for your answers! The spots are a bit elevated and can be felt by hand! Bloom or pores?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers! The spots are a bit elevated and can be felt by hand! Bloom or pores?

I’ve read that, sometimes, when shell gets wet it will form welts where the water drops sat. The bloom shouldn’t cause elevation.

Use the back of a spoon over the welt and brush. It should take care of it.

yengli

Reaction score
I’ve read that, sometimes, when shell gets wet it will form welts where the water drops sat. The bloom shouldn’t cause elevation.

Use the back of a spoon over the welt and brush. It should take care of it.
I’ve read about that too, but wouldn’t that be strange as they are right out of the box?
Thanks for the tip, shall try that!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve read about that too, but wouldn’t that be strange as they are right out of the box?
Thanks for the tip, shall try that!

I missed the part of being right out of the box.

Give it a try. Maybe just use your thumb first and then brush. See what happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads