• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Check out the latest from the Italians:

tumblr_nskvvcTOsB1sur5auo1_1280.jpg

^^^Horween Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan

The pic is from Skoak's site.

Enzo B. continues to amaze with their sublime creations in shell cordovan.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Enzo is a master artisan. I just wish there were a last to fit me better.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@minthe

I am sooo happy for you. Congrats on this acquisition. They are indeed stunning.

I would love to get my wife a pair of Carmina's lady's oxfords in Ruby Shell Cordovan.

Thanks.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Enzo is a master artisan. I just wish there were a last to fit me better.

The 946 in a UK 9.5 G fits me fairly well. I can see why it would give many trouble as it is certainly a very tight fitting last.

If mine were a millimeter narrower, they would be too narrow...

@peppercorn78 I have a pair coming on the 804 in a "G" width and will let you know my thoughts on that last.

I know this for certain, the EB 804 is much more accommodating in regard to volume than the 946.

My 946 balmoral boots are tight but comfy FWIW...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 946 in a UK 9.5 G fits me fairly well.  I can see why it would give many trouble as it is certainly a very tight fitting last.  

If mine were a millimeter narrower, they would be too narrow...

@peppercorn78
 I have a pair coming on the 804 in a "G" width and will let you know my thoughts on that last.

I know this for certain, the EB 804 is much more accommodating in regard to volume than the 946.

My 946 balmoral boots are tight but comfy FWIW...

Thanks bro. I'm about at the limit of width with my 946 10 H, so if 804 G is even a fraction narrower, then it won't work for me. But the problem for this last for me is the high instep. I can wear my chukkas, and they feel fine, but there's so much extra room at the instep, it causes creases all over.

I think it's just better for me to stick with brands that fit me much better, like Vass (as I know now). Considering my next purchase from them. On the fence between a shell shoe or a calf boot. :)

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen, Check out the latest from the Italians:
tumblr_nskvvcTOsB1sur5auo1_1280.jpg

^^^Horween Dark Cognac Shell Cordovan

The pic is from Skoak's site.

Enzo B. continues to amaze with their sublime creations in shell cordovan.
What is going on with the instep/cone on these boots??

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is going on with the instep/cone on these boots??

Don't know about this example in particular, but I can testify that, in general, EB has lots of instep support.

The instep on my UK 9.5 "G" 946 Last from EB is not nearly as high as the instep on my Alden 379x in a US 10E.

On the 379x I cannot lace the boots up too tightly or the boots will actually tickle the arch of my foot. Alden 379x is a gnarly last to say the least.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I get in on something like that???

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually spoke to Ron extensively over that makeup and considered going with him...the only thing that held me back was the fact that the cordovan was not from Horween.

However, Ron has been in the biz for a long time and if he is choosing to work with that shell at all, then it must be good and I trust his judgment.

The most appealing thing about buying boots and shoes through Ron is that he will send you several pairs of his boots/shoes and then make adjustments to the lasts before they are sent to you.

That was what impressed me....that and the vast knowledge that Ron Rider possesses...the guy is essentially a walking shoe encyclopedia. And he's down to earth as well...

I plan on buying some kicks from him in the near future.

Ron Rider and SF GMTO in shell cordovan anyone?
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads