• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the advice forwarded by PTO. The very thing that sets cordovan's look apart from all other leathers is its oily sheen, mostly thanks to the waxes and oils inside, though some makers add an extra finish for near-mirror shine. When we add wax on it, the hide gets a bright shine like calf and the natural shine is covered. All that's left are the wavy rolls, which are nice but the look is gone.

The advice says that cream never penetrates the hide's surface, so it's best to avoid it. Does wax really do deep penetration better? No is my answer. Whoa, this post took an NSFW escalation suddenly.

Interesting article today from PTO on caring for shell. Seems almost blasphemous to me to suggest anything but the mac method.
smile.gif

http://putthison.com/

"How to Raise a Shine on Shell Cordovan

Want to know a dirty secret? Shell cordovan – that durable and robust leather known for its luster – doesn’t stay shiny for long. It can look pretty dull after a year’s worth of wear, and afterwards, it’s hard to get that factory-fresh gleam again.

Readers of online menswear forums might be familiar with The Mac Method. Invented by Macarthur, a man known for his love of argyle socks and Alden shoes, it involves using a bit of polish every fifteen wears and brushing until your arms fall off. It’s hard to argue with his results, but I haven’t had much luck with the technique.

A Shine & Co recently held a special event at Leffot, where they treated customers to their special shoeshine services. Among those shined were the shell cordovan loafers you see above – which look like night and day after A Shine & Co. was done with them. I spoke to KeaLani Lada, one of the company’s co-owners, about how they treat shell cordovan leather:

Don’t Use Cream: Since shell cordovan is dense and non-porous, A Shine & Co. recommends forgoing cream conditioners. “We find it just sits on top of the material, rather than getting absorbed,” says KeaLani. “As a result, you get this dull – sometimes even sticky – finish. It makes for bad surface when you’re trying to build a shine.”

Build Layers of Wax: Half of A Shine & Co’s secret is about what they don’t put on: cream conditioners. The other half is about what they do: wax polishes. “You want to slowly build multiple layers,” says KeaLani. “Apply a small amount of wax with a damp rag, and then buff to a shine. On the next layer, use about half the amount of wax as you did last time so you don’t get too much build-up.” A Shine & Co’s wax polish of choice? Saphir.

Cut the Fat: Wear shell enough and you’ll start to notice white streaks forming around the creases. That’s the leather’s fat getting expressed through the surface. To clean it up, lightly dampen a rag with a small 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. Doing so not only helps get rid of those white streaks, it also prevents the fat from spreading across your shoes – and dulling that glow.

Strip it Down: Sometimes you just need to start anew. To get rid of old layers of polish and dried up conditioner, wipe your shoes down with naphtha lighter fluid. The idea admittedly sounds scary, but KeaLani assures us it’s gentle. “Just don’t use too much and don’t rub too hard. Common sense will go a long way.”

To get your shoes professionally shined, you can visit A Shine & Co at any of their seven locations. They have four in San Francisco and three in NYC. They also offer repairs and restoration services for all types of leather goods – from shoes to belts to bags. For those services, customers outside of San Francisco and NYC can just mail-in their stuff."

FWIW, this is a Youtube video that shows the method by KeaLani herself. I will admit that while I don't want to put wax on my shell shoes, these look pretty fantastic when she's done and the boots themselves look fanastic.

Edit: Also yes, I agree that putting wax defeats the purpose of getting shell since the natural glow is one of the most attractive aspects of the material.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per above, I will not be going after this particular pair. But in general, if I do need to put in an insole, is there a specific one that is considered best for tightening a fit by a 1/4 to 1/2 size?

Gentlemen,

Not EVERY pair of Alden's from Asia are bogus. Some of the other Alden's that old dude has on B&S made the best of B&S sales list. So, apparently the Forum was cool with him.

I think @JSO1 did the right thing by asking him to take more pics.

Usually, from what I have seen, the bogus sellers will only have like one pair for sale...this cat has several.

Thanks.

Except his pictures for his two threads are in vastly different lighting and locations. One thread has a photo of the boots with a piece of paper with his name on it, the other doesn't. One is size 10.5, one is 8.5.

It all screams suspicious to me. Maybe the first listing is legit. Maybe it's just to build trust.

But I am very hesitant. Also, just because someone featured the listing in the B&S - Buy this thread doesn't mean it's legit.

FYI - the seller of the Cigar LWBs responded to my PM and sent me a photo with his name and such, written in a marker. I edited my post in his thread accordingly. Seems legit to me, now. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI - the seller of the Cigar LWBs responded to my PM and sent me a photo with his name and such, written in a marker. I edited my post in his thread accordingly. Seems legit to me, now. I stand corrected.

There you go @mosy
fing02[1].gif
fing02[1].gif

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There you go @mosy

fing02%5B1%5D.gif

fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Except his pictures for his two threads are in vastly different lighting and locations. One thread has a photo of the boots with a piece of paper with his name on it, the other doesn't. One is size 10.5, one is 8.5.

It all screams suspicious to me. Maybe the first listing is legit. Maybe it's just to build trust.

But I am very hesitant. Also, just because someone featured the listing in the B&S - Buy this thread doesn't mean it's legit.

Gentlemen,

Not EVERY pair of Alden's from Asia are bogus.  Some of the other Alden's that old dude has on B&S made the best of B&S sales list.  So, apparently the Forum was cool with him.

I think @JSO1
did the right thing by asking him to take more pics.

Usually, from what I have seen, the bogus sellers will only have like one pair for sale...this cat has several.

Thanks.

I'm either 8 or 8.5 in Barrie.  Can't decide.  I have tried both and when push comes to shove, I'll probably go for an 8.  

Those shoes are beautiful.  I know Ebay offers buyer protection even when the seller has a no return policy.  How does it work with Paypal?  What happens if I pay this guy and I never receive the shoes?  Also, with the paypal fee and international shipping, I may be looking at $900!

Dude, you better put an insole in those kicks...they are super rare...:foo:

Paypal offers some sort of buyer protection.  IDK what though.

Its all up to you my friend.  You must decide.

As far as cost is concerned.......:uhoh:

You are seriously better off to not get into wearing shell cordovan at all...

I definitely hear ya.  I do want to get one pair and see what happens.  I will do my best not to get in over my head, even though I understand that might be difficult...

I would probably avoid. Guy has only 4 posts and there was some sort of scammer selling shell shoes from the far east recently.

I would not buy from that guy. There has been a LOT of Alden rare shell scamming going on lately.

Also, if you need sizing advice, go to the Alden thread. I am a Barrie 8D and would be happy to give you sizing advice (over PM or in that thread).

Thanks, was thinking the same...not taking a chance like that...

@mosy@Watchman1@JSO1
The photo posted is my photo and still has my watermark. I sold that pair which was then flipped on eBay. Not the same size neither

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Nice shoes, Mike.
Went with the brown AE Townleys today:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crockett & Jones Made-to-Order Lowndes Double Monk in Whiskey Shell Cordovan.
-Mike
Really nice whiskey monk straps. Haven't experienced C&J shell yet - still waiting to find my Marlow wingtips...
^^^ Nice shoes, Mike. Went with the brown AE Townleys today:
Fantastic. I just missed out on the Townley boat, sadly.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dubsy, those may be my faves from your collection! After the chukkas, of course...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Dubsy, those may be my faves from your collection! After the chukkas, of course...

Really nice whiskey monk straps. Haven't experienced C&J shell yet - still waiting to find my Marlow wingtips...
Fantastic. I just missed out on the Townley boat, sadly.

^^^ Nice shoes, Mike.
Went with the brown AE Townleys today:

Thanks guys! Glad you like them Pepper, these are my most expensive shoes in my entire wardrobe. MTO up charges kill sometimes. But I don't regret them as I really really wanted a Whiskey Dub Monk and after searching the entire market, these were my favorite shape.

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads