The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Dude, you better put an insole in those kicks...they are super rare...[​IMG]

Paypal offers some sort of buyer protection. IDK what though.

Its all up to you my friend. You must decide.

As far as cost is concerned.......[​IMG]

You are seriously better off to not get into wearing shell cordovan at all...

2. mosy

mosy Senior member

I definitely hear ya. I do want to get one pair and see what happens. I will do my best not to get in over my head, even though I understand that might be difficult...

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I would probably avoid. Guy has only 4 posts and there was some sort of scammer selling shell shoes from the far east recently.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I would not buy from that guy. There has been a LOT of Alden rare shell scamming going on lately.

Also, if you need sizing advice, go to the Alden thread. I am a Barrie 8D and would be happy to give you sizing advice (over PM or in that thread).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks, was thinking the same...not taking a chance like that...

6. mosy

mosy Senior member

As per above, I will not be going after this particular pair. But in general, if I do need to put in an insole, is there a specific one that is considered best for tightening a fit by a 1/4 to 1/2 size?

7. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

tacco for 1/4 size. if shoes are a half size too big they need to go imo

8. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks, is there a specific Tacco product to use? Also, how do I make sure to get the right size?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

10. sleepyinsanfran

Tacco luxus perhaps? and size for the insole you mean - go a full size up for the insole, because they are often cut small-to size or too narrow in the true size.

11. sleepyinsanfran

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Not EVERY pair of Alden's from Asia are bogus. Some of the other Alden's that old dude has on B&S made the best of B&S sales list. So, apparently the Forum was cool with him.

I think @JSO1 did the right thing by asking him to take more pics.

Usually, from what I have seen, the bogus sellers will only have like one pair for sale...this cat has several.

Thanks.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Except his pictures for his two threads are in vastly different lighting and locations. One thread has a photo of the boots with a piece of paper with his name on it, the other doesn't. One is size 10.5, one is 8.5.

It all screams suspicious to me. Maybe the first listing is legit. Maybe it's just to build trust.

But I am very hesitant. Also, just because someone featured the listing in the B&S - Buy this thread doesn't mean it's legit.

14. AHS

AHS Senior member

Interesting article today from PTO on caring for shell. Seems almost blasphemous to me to suggest anything but the mac method. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

http://putthison.com/

"How to Raise a Shine on Shell Cordovan

Want to know a dirty secret? Shell cordovan – that durable and robust leather known for its luster – doesn’t stay shiny for long. It can look pretty dull after a year’s worth of wear, and afterwards, it’s hard to get that factory-fresh gleam again.

Readers of online menswear forums might be familiar with The Mac Method. Invented by Macarthur, a man known for his love of argyle socks and Alden shoes, it involves using a bit of polish every fifteen wears and brushing until your arms fall off. It’s hard to argue with his results, but I haven’t had much luck with the technique.

A Shine & Co recently held a special event at Leffot, where they treated customers to their special shoeshine services. Among those shined were the shell cordovan loafers you see above – which look like night and day after A Shine & Co. was done with them. I spoke to KeaLani Lada, one of the company’s co-owners, about how they treat shell cordovan leather:

Don’t Use Cream: Since shell cordovan is dense and non-porous, A Shine & Co. recommends forgoing cream conditioners. “We find it just sits on top of the material, rather than getting absorbed,” says KeaLani. “As a result, you get this dull – sometimes even sticky – finish. It makes for bad surface when you’re trying to build a shine.”

Build Layers of Wax: Half of A Shine & Co’s secret is about what they don’t put on: cream conditioners. The other half is about what they do: wax polishes. “You want to slowly build multiple layers,” says KeaLani. “Apply a small amount of wax with a damp rag, and then buff to a shine. On the next layer, use about half the amount of wax as you did last time so you don’t get too much build-up.” A Shine & Co’s wax polish of choice? Saphir.

Cut the Fat: Wear shell enough and you’ll start to notice white streaks forming around the creases. That’s the leather’s fat getting expressed through the surface. To clean it up, lightly dampen a rag with a small 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. Doing so not only helps get rid of those white streaks, it also prevents the fat from spreading across your shoes – and dulling that glow.

Strip it Down: Sometimes you just need to start anew. To get rid of old layers of polish and dried up conditioner, wipe your shoes down with naphtha lighter fluid. The idea admittedly sounds scary, but KeaLani assures us it’s gentle. “Just don’t use too much and don’t rub too hard. Common sense will go a long way.”

To get your shoes professionally shined, you can visit A Shine & Co at any of their seven locations. They have four in San Francisco and three in NYC. They also offer repairs and restoration services for all types of leather goods – from shoes to belts to bags. For those services, customers outside of San Francisco and NYC can just mail-in their stuff."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  15. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I didn't like the advice forwarded by PTO. The very thing that sets cordovan's look apart from all other leathers is its oily sheen, mostly thanks to the waxes and oils inside, though some makers add an extra finish for near-mirror shine. When we add wax on it, the hide gets a bright shine like calf and the natural shine is covered. All that's left are the wavy rolls, which are nice but the look is gone.

The advice says that cream never penetrates the hide's surface, so it's best to avoid it. Does wax really do deep penetration better? No is my answer. Whoa, this post took an NSFW escalation suddenly.